12. Blind Eye

12

“Cade!  Why are you so condescending?!” I yelled.

“Marlene!  Calm down! It’s not that big of a deal!” He replied.

“Not a big deal?!  She’s going to be staying in your home for two weeks!  Can’t you understand why that would make me uncomfortable?!” I was right after all.

“She’s just a friend!” He retorted. 

I scoffed, “Then why not let me just stay over here!”

“For two weeks?!  Yeah that’d be a great wait to stay discrete!” His sarcasm dripped off every word.

“Caden! I don’t want her here alone with you!” I said, putting my foot down.

He sighed, “Then where is she going to go?  Just meet her Marlene.” He pleaded.  We were sitting in his apartment and we ended up getting into an argument about the fact that this friend of his was coming to stay with him for so long…and she was a she.

“I just don’t like it.”  I mumbled. 

Cade scooted closer to me on the couch, “Marlene, there is nothing to worry about.  Trust me, it’s not like that with Melanie.  You just need to meet her and you’ll understand.”

“Is she ridiculously unattractive?”

“Well no, but that’s not the point.”

“Then I’m uncomfortable.” I said crossing my arms. I really didn’t think I was being thatunreasonable.

He sighed, “Is there any possible way I can make this work?”

I thought for a second, “Give me a key.”

“Excuse me?”

“A key to the apartment.  Then I can show up whenever and you’d never know when to expect me.” I shrugged.

He rubbed his eyes. “Fine! If that’ll make this situation work, then I’ll go have a copy made tomorrow.”

I smiled, “Great!”

“Must you be so difficult?” He whispered.

I shrugged, “I must.”

He smiled a little, “I do understand though.  Just so you know.  I’m not completely oblivious to the situation.  I suppose I just know Melanie better, so there’s no threat to me.”

“Well, think of it this way.  Tomorrow my old friend from junior high who is pretty good looking is coming and staying with me for a while.  By the way, my parents are never home, so I’ll probably alone with him whenever I get home from school.”