2. Blind Eye

2

We were all hanging out in class before the bell rang.  My first period was English with Holly and Chance.  Our teacher was a sweet younger woman named Mrs. Lanton.  She was super pregnant and I was always excited to talk to her about it because pregnancy fascinated me.

It was a few minutes before the bell was supposed to ring when Ben, a boy in my class who was actually Mrs. Lanton’s nephew came in super excited.  “You guys!  Last night Mrs. Lanton had her baby!”

We all began chattering about it.

“But wasn’t she due in three weeks?”

“Yeah, but the baby just decided to come earlier!” He said excitedly.

“Boy or girl?” I asked.

“Girl.”

“Aw!” Holly and I said in unison.

“Well I guess that means we have a sub.” I said.  “I hope it’s grandpa.” I smiled.  There was an old substitute that always came who had a super long and Italian name that no one could pronounce and so everyone just took to calling him Grandpa.  He was a very nice guy.

“Me too!  He would let us get away with murder if we just smiled cutely at him.” Holly laughed.

“That’s totally true.” I chuckled along with her.

Unfortunately though our sub came in and he wasn’t Grandpa.  He was a much younger guy.  I didn’t catch his face because he walked in swiftly and turned right to the board to write down his name.

“Darn.” Holly whispered.

The bell then rang and we all sat in our seats. 

I looked at the back of our sub and kind of stared. He had such bright blond hair and he was really tall and lanky.  He looked to be in his early twenties at most.  At least from the back anyways.

“Hopefully this guy isn’t a total hardass.” Chance whispered to me. He sat behind me and Holly sat next to me.

“Yeah, that would really suck since we probably have him for a while.”

“That’s right! Mrs. Lanton is probably on maternity leave.”

“Probably?” I looked at Chance like he was dumb. “Of course she is you idiot.”

“Oh…right.” He chuckled.

I looked back at the board and the sub was looking down through papers, probably for the class roster.

The name on the board read, ‘Mr. Tyler.’