13. Blind Eye

13

“I don’t like this Marlene.” Holly complained to me.  Her and Braxton were both over at my house and it’s been a few days since Melanie got in town. 

“What do you mean?”

“Well, what if she has feelings for him or something? She could just tell the world and get you both in trouble or threaten to do that or something!”

“Holly, she isn’t like that.” I replied.  And she wasn’t.  I had gotten to know her more and more in the past few days and she was really cool.  She just didn’t seem like the person to do that sort of thing.  “Plus Cade’s not going to be subbing our class anymore soon.  Mrs. Lanton is supposed to be back in like two weeks.” I shrugged.

“He’ll still be subbing in our district and you’re still seventeen!  It’s still not okay!”

I groaned.  “I know! But I’ll be eighteen in like two months and he won’t be in my class anymore.  Plus I’ve known him before he became a teacher.”

She sighed, “It’s still too risky.”

“You’re really bumming me out.” I grumbled.

Braxton just laughed at us.  “Chill out Holly, it’s not that bad.  They’re only five years apart and if no one says anything it should all be fine.”

“I’m just looking out for her well-being!”

“Yeah yeah.” He chuckled.  “I’m going to go get something to drink.” He said leaving my room.

“Why aren’t you with Cade today anyways?”

“He had a teacher’s meeting to go to.” I shrugged.  It was Friday afternoon, so usually I was with Cade, but I had felt like I was neglecting my friends too much for him.

“Ah, are you missing your lover terribly right now?”

“Shut up! I’m with you!” I laughed.

“You’re so lucky Marlene.  You had Braxton and Cade drooling after you and you got to make a choice.” She laughed.

“I feel lucky I got Cade, but that situation was more unpleasant than you’d think.”

“Well, I think Braxton is very sweet to continue hanging out with you.  I wonder why he does?”

“I dunno.”  I looked over at her and something suddenly donned on me… “Holly, do you like Braxton?”

She suddenly blushed and looked at me surprised, “No!”

“Liar!” I laughed.

She sighed, “Yeah a little, okay?  Can you blame me though?”