1. Blind Eye

1

There’s this common phrase most people use; the eyes are the window to the soul.  I never quite understood what that meant.  I mean when I looked into people’s eyes all I saw was black pupils and brown, blue, or green irises.  There was no soul.  I didn’t see any dark secrets they held.  I couldn’t suddenly read their mind.  It was just nothing.  So the phrase just never struck me as interesting or true.  Well…that is until I met a boy.  Isn’t that so typical? You meet a boy and your whole perspective on something changes.  I find it monotonous and I hated that it was relevant to me.

I was twelve years old and walking down the street on my way home from school.  Seventh grade take s a toll on a girl after all and we were only a few weeks into the year.  I had found out my best friend liked the same boy as me and he liked her too.  That doesn’t make anyone feel great.

I was just walking down the sidewalk, kicking a rock as I did.  That day wasn’t supposed to be anything special.  The sun came up just as before, my teachers had droned on about the same junk that I didn’t care about, and my shoes were tied the same as the day before.  What made that day so special? What made those coincidences happen?  Fate? Destiny? I wasn’t sure, but if it was fate she knew how to mess with a girl’s head.

I turned down my street just as I did every other day, and low and behold there was a boy standing there that just kind of looked at me.  He was wearing tan pants with a t-shirt and a black sweatshirt over the shirt and a jean vest over the sweatshirt.   The sun was in my face so I couldn’t get a good look at his, but he was tall.  I assumed he must have been in high school.

“Hey are you okay?” He asked me.  He must have been referring to my downtrodden expression with tears beginning to well up.

“No…No I’m not alright.” I snapped.  I didn’t know who he was, but anyone could see I was sad and I just wanted someone to know.  Plus the fact that I basically would say anything that was on my mind.

“Well what’s wrong?”

I tried looking at him again and this time he moved towards me.  I finally got a good look at his face and instantly blushed.  He was the handsomest boy I had ever seen.  His hair was so blond it was almost white and it was straight, but really messy. He had such manly, but yet soft features.  The most shocking thing about him though was his eyes.  One was distinctly brown and the other was blue.  I gasped and stepped back from him.

“What’s wrong with your eyes?!” I immediately shouted.

He looked surprised by my reaction, but smiled kindly, “I was just born this way.  I’m mostly blind in this one.” He said pointing at his blue eye. “But I have perfect vision in this one.” He said pointing at the brown one.  “Does it bother you?”

I shook my head, but continued to stare at him.  “Does it bother you?” I asked him back.

He laughed, “It used to when I was younger, but not anymore.”

“Oh I see.” I said, still fixated on his face.

He chuckled lightly, “Why don’t you tell me why you looked so sad?”