Chapter 16: Not a First Date

You were pissed, because it was almost 3 and you were still not off yet. This was highly annoying to you because not only were you one of the first servers on (so you technically should've been cut first), but Jimin has been off for almost an hour and a half waiting patiently for you at the bar. You knew this manager didn't really like you too much (you didn't know why), but this was getting ridiculous.

Your section was clean, you finished all your other tasks and you weren't even getting any tables, so what was the point of keeping you on? The worst part was that if you asked this specific manager to be cut, they'd just keep you on longer.

You were trying to keep yourself busy by wiping down menus (you'd be surprised how quickly they get gross and sticky) but mentally, you were plotting the murder of the manager. Jimin was observing you, and when you made eye contact with him, he gave you a sympathetic smile. Gosh, you felt so bad for keeping him waiting. You grabbed the menus and bucket with the cloth in it and walked to stand behind the bar - so you wouldn't be alone and then you could talk to Jimin.

"Hey gorgeous, when are you off?" Jimin asked in a playful flirting tone, but considering how annoyed you were at the current situation, you did not find it amusing. So, you glared at him. "Woah, are you okay?"

"No, I'm so frustrated. Why the heck am I still on? They're just wasting money by keeping me on." You said, and you couldn't keep the resentment out of your voice. You scrubbed the crap out of the menus and groaned, but you still couldn't keep the guilt from eating you up. "I'm sorry."

Jimin placed a gentle hand on top of yours in a comforting way, and you looked up at him with a small pout on your face. He had a small smile on his face when he saw your sad expression.

"Why are you sorry, love?" His thumb was rubbing circles into the back of your hand and it gave you stupid butterflies in your tummy. You were trying to be mad - how dare he be sweet and try to console you at this moment?

"I was looking forward to our date." The pout on your face deepened and you sighed. You heard Jimin chuckle quietly.

"First of all, I thought we agreed you deserve a better first date than going for lunch with me after work." He said and you grumbled. "I didn't agree to that, that's what you said." Jimin smiled softly at you. "Besides, you obviously aren't staying here of your own free will, so what exactly are you apologizing for?"

Stupid Jimin, being so stinking cute and understanding and ugh. He made you so angry, but you also couldn't stop thinking about him. Is there a phrase for that? Psychotic? Desperate? Well, whatever it was, that's how you felt.

"Well, you've been here waiting for me for over an hour. I feel like I'm wasting your time." Jimin chuckled and you cursed your stupid heart for racing at the sound. Why was he making you feel soft, you were obviously trying to be angry?

The audacity of this man, honestly.

"Y/n, love. You aren't wasting my time. I wouldn't still be sitting here if I didn't want to. Besides, I'm not complaining because I've been able to check you out for the past hour without you glaring at me for it, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm a winner." He winked at you and you immediately flushed.

"Aren't you guys just a couple of cuties!" The bartender suddenly exclaimed from behind you and holy shit, where the hell did she come from? You dropped the menus you were cleaning because she had startled you so badly, and Jimin threw his head back and laughed loudly. Well, you were glad he thought it was funny (that's a lie - you hated him laughing at you. Stupid Jimin and your stupidly cute laugh that made your heart skip a beat.) "Seriously though, Y/n. Why are you still on shift? It's so dead, and you are definitely not needed."

Okay, at least someone else realized that this was not a fun situation to be in, but you were still angry, so you aggressively shrugged your shoulders.

"I don't know, because this manager hates me?" Jimin's smile faded upon seeing you genuinely upset, and he went from annoying Jimin to sweet and caring Jimin so fast, you thought you'd get whiplash.

"Come on gorgeous, he doesn't hate you." Jimin gently put his hand on yours to comfort you and why did it work that fast? You could feel the frustration slowly melt away, but it was replaced with more anger when you realized you could've been out, enjoying the day with Jimin right now.

This sucked.

"He does hate me! He always does this. He keeps me way longer than necessary, and if I ask him to cut because of plans, he keeps me even longer. So honestly, it's a lose, lose."

Jimin frowned and so did the bartender because anyone could see how unfair this was. He gently rubbed your hand and you were appreciative of that - lord knows you were needing comfort or you were going to combust in anger.

"Do you want me to go talk to him, love?" Jimin's voice was gentle when talking to you and if it was possible, you found yourself falling for him even more.

Damn this guy, and damn the effect he has on you.

"No, it won't get me anywhere. He'll just keep me here longer." Your anger turned to sadness because you started to realize that your "not date" with Jimin might not happen because this manager just would not cut you.

"No, he won't." The bartender said as she pushed passed you. "There is no way he's keeping you from your cute little date." She said as she stormed past you and you didn't even have the heart to tell her that it's not a date.

You and Jimin both observed as she waltzed over to the manager and started aggressively talking to him. Pointing her finger and talking at a decently loud volume (although you couldn't distinguish everything that was being said), and you couldn't look away.

After about 2 minutes of the talk (if you could even call it that - it was pretty one sided from your point of view), the manager walked over and begrudgingly told you that you were cut. You squealed in pure elation and started completing the cash out process as quickly as you could.

20 minutes, you were swaggering out of the back, wearing your everyday clothes and holding your cash out envelope. You handed it to the manager with a smile on your face and walked over to Jimin afterwards.

You gently put your hand on his shoulder and began to softly caress it. He turned to you and gave you a massive smile.

"I've been waiting for awhile, but baby, you are worth waiting for." You blushed and rolled your eyes at him.

You were comforted in the fact that Jimin would always be a charmer, and it would always seem to bring you peace.

He grabbed your hand from your shoulder and squeezed it with an affectionate touch.

"Even though it's not a date, I don't believe that a lady should drive. So what do you say I follow you home, and then I will drive you to lunch. What do you think?" He had a soft smile on your face and you couldn't help returning it.

"That sounds perfect." You responded and you both walked out of the restaurant, walking a little too close together.

If this wasn't a date, then why was your heart pounding as hard as it was?

Jimin seemed to have an effect on you that no one else did. A couple of months ago, that would have bothered you. But now, you were feeling on top of the world beside him.

You could get used to this feeling.