Chapter 2

Within the ancient walls of Hastinapur, the rhythm of life continued unabated. In a secluded chamber, time seemed to hold its breath, the stillness punctuated only by the gentle flicker of oil lamps and the distant murmur of the city beyond.

The royal family was seated outside Gandhari's chamber. Dhritarashtra paced restlessly, his steps echoing the weight of his concern. Abruptly, the curtains parted, revealing the ayurvati as she emerged. At the sound of her footsteps, Satyavati rose gracefully from her seat, moving towards her with measured determination.

"Well, is there any progress?" She asked.

" No, your highness." replied Ayurvati.

"But how? A woman is supposed to deliver 9 months after her pregnancy. Why hasn't she delivered after 15 months!?"

"I'm sorry, Rajmata. But my most educated analysis does not seem to find a solution to this."

Rajmata Satyavati's brow furrowed momentarily before she sighed deeply. "You may leave," she said softly.

The royal family exchanged worried glances. They had all been delighted once it was announced that Gandhari was pregnant. But now the situation was worrisome. Slowly, one by one, they left the room, leaving an uncomfortable silence.

Dhritarashra, who was pacing till then, with a furrowed eyebrow marched into Gandhari's chamber, with a flushed face.

"Gandhari, why haven't our son taken birth yet? You have been pregnant for 15 months. You had a boon of having 100 sons! Why isn't even the first son born!?" He shrieked.

The young queen raised her head, looking at her husband. Tears streamed down her face.

"I don't know, Arya. I am helpless. I have been praying to God Shiva but he didn't respond." She replied grasping onto the sheets in her bed.

"But Arya, Lord Shiva's blessings never go in vain." She added, nodded vigorously.

Dhritarashra clenched his face and glared at her.

"Well, then pray more. I want a son at any cost. You are the daughter-in-law of Kuruvansh and my wife. You are the Queen of Hastinapur. It is your duty to gift it with a heir. Do not tempt me to take other necessary steps to secure the throne." He replied, emphasizing on the last statement.

He marched out of the room swiftly, his angavastra flowing in the air.

Gandhari clenched her fists, sobbing. Her shoulders shuddered and she found it difficult to breathe as she pondered upon her misfortune. She uttered the name of Lord Shiva wondering where she went wrong. The grief, and the pain along with the implications of her husbands words covered her, turning her sadness into despair. She furiously rubbed her stomach, cursing her fate. A flash of pain hit her and her screams made the maids rush in, filing them with a ray of hope.

Hours stretched on as they awaited news. Yet, when she finally gave birth, a stunned silence enveloped the labor room. Maids and doctors alike stared in disbelief; instead of the expected delicate form of a child, there lay a mass of flesh.

The royal family was informed and convened in the same hall, where a palpable sense of despair settled over them once more. Dhritarashtra appeared devastated, while the others wore expressions of grim contemplation.

Finally Bhishma looked up with a thoughtful face.

"What if this was a part of Lord Shiva's boon? Something might be there which we fail to comprehend." He mused.

Rajmata Satyavati looked at her son with thoughtfulness and pride.

"You are right, Putra." She said. " It was a mistake to expect Gandhari to give birth to a hundred children. It's not humanly possible! We must certainly find a way to clear our doubt. I shall quickly call my son, Ved Vyas to find a solution to this problem."