Chapter 42 - Cleared Bills

ANNALISE'S POV

I woke up the next morning to an empty bed. Justin was nowhere to be found. I sighed and went to the kitchen to make something for breakfast. As I sat and ate I started to reminisce on last night. The way he went slow and with caress was almost like he cared. Or maybe he's like that with everyone he sleeps with. I was about to defend myself from my subconscious when my ringtone disturbed me.

"Hello good morning" I answered politely.

"Good morning. Is this Annalise Via?" A young man asked over the line.

"Yes this is she" I started to become curious.

"I'm doctor West from Mercy's Hospital. Your mother has responded extremely well over the pass few weeks and she has been asking for you." he informed me.

"That's amazing. I will be by later today. Is there anything else?" 

"Yes. I also want to inform you that her bills haven't been paid. That's not my area of specialty but they won't release her until at least half of her payments are cleared." I could her a bit of concern in his voice and I knew that I'll have to find the money. 

"Thank you so much for informing me. I'll have the money paid soon enough" 

"Have a good day" 

"Same to you" The line went flat and I saw Justin leaning against the kitchen doorframe in sweats and no shirt, his hands in his pocket.

"H-how long have you been standing there?" I was startled.

"What money needs to be paid?" he asked looking me dead in the eyes.

"I asked you a question first" I defended. 

"Long enough. Now answer my question." he had a cup of coffee and started drinking it, sitting directly in front of me.

"That's personal and it doesn't concern you" I looked down trying to bury my face in my mug.

"Damn it Annalise answer the question" he shouted and made me finch. It wasn't an dangerous type of yell, more like a concerned yet impatient type of yell.

"My mother is doing great and the doctor called to inform me that she won't be discharged until her bills have been paid. But I can't let my sister pay them because she's been covering her bills for the longest and it's my turn to clear them. I can't just leave everything on her you know? She's already done enough" I looked at Justin's face and he was watching me like he was really listening and cared.

"And I'm blabbering. It's -"

"No it's okay. What do you plan on doing?" he took another sip waiting for my response.

"Well I'll just have to wait until I get paid so I can use that to clear her expenses" I shrugged.

"Okay" he got up and waked back to the doorway.

"We leave in two hours" he said and then left.  

BACK IN NEW YORK

"How was the trip sir?" Martin asked as he greeted us at JFK Airport. 

"Business went good, among other things" he smirked and I almost chocked. Among other things huh?

"And how did you find Paris Via?" We all got in the vehicle and he drove off after loading the suitcases.

"Paris was amazing. Mr. Bieber took me to see the Eifel Tower" I sounded as excited as a seven year old.

"How nice of him" Martin and I both chuckled. The whole time Justin was on his phone, he didn't even bother to reply. I just looked out the window. Even though it's been a few weeks since I've been around, the buildings still seemed to fascinate me. 

"Via you're back" Violet greeted me in opened arms. I smiled and greeted her the same.

"I missed you too Violet" The bags were taken up to the rooms and I took a bubble bath. It was pretty exhausting to travel. It was Saturday and I decided to visit the hospital. After bath I decided to wear simple dress. Martin left, I presumed, Mr. Bieber was in his study and Violet was nowhere to be found. So I just left to take a cab.

"Hi I'm Annalise Via. I'm here to see  Anita Via" I informed the receptionist.

"What's your relation?" she said looking through the files.

"Daughter"

"Okay. Room B12" she didn't even give directions. She must be new. Good thing I have good memory and I remembered the hospitality of the receptionist when I first came here. I made my way to my mother's room when I saw a man in a coat at her bedside, who I presume is her doctor.

"Hi I'm Annalise Via" I introduced. He turned around to face me and he was handsome. He had black hair, dark brown eyes and brown complexion, maybe Cuban. 

"I'm Adrian West your mother's doctor" Yep. Definitely Cuban. His voice sounded smoother in person.  

"Yes I remember. How's she doing?" She was currently sleeping and I didn't want to wake her.

"She's doing great. Her BP is stable, pulse is strong and vitals are strong. She's responsive and also eating" he showed me her charts. I couldn't understand a thing but I took his word for it. 

"That's really great" I smiled and held her hand in mine.

"Annalise?" my mother called me in her sleep.

"I'm here mami" I kissed her on her forehead and she woke up.

"I'll leave you two" Dr. West said and walked out.

"How are you feeling mami?" I drew a chair closer to her bed.

"I'm doing great Anna. I know I shouldn't be drinking and all. And I know you and your sister are disappointed in me for putting you guys through this. I'm sorry honey and this time I'm gonna change for you. I'll even go to rehab if I have to. I probably won't afford it but it'll happen." I didn't know whether to be happy or emotional. 

"Mami I-I don't know what to say. What made you say that?" I chuckled.

"I guess it's because I've been here so long, it seems like forever. Anna I mean every word"

"I love you mami" I kissed her arm. "Give me a minute" I walked out her room ad went back to the lobby. Standing there was Dr. West and another person. 

"Miss Via glad to see you. We was just talking about you." he smiled brightly. I walked over to them.

"Please call me Annalise" I smiled lightly.

"Annalise this is Claire Thomas our medical biller" I shook her hand.

"Pleasure to meet you"

"I must say you were serious when you said you'd pay the bills soon. It's good though" They both smiled and I just stood there almost lifeless.

"Wh-what do you mean?" I asked confusingly.

"Your mother's bills are cleared. Everything was paid an hour ago" Claire said.

"You didn't know?" Dr. West asked raising an eyebrow.

"No its uh - its fine" I rushed back calmly to my mother's room. I had a pretty good idea who paid the bills.

"Annalise the nurse said I can leave" I looked at the bed seeing the discharge papers and mami was already packed. I signed the papers and gave them back to the nurse. We left the hospital and I didn't even know where I was gonna let mami stay. I sighed and leaned back in the cab.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope you all like.......

Remember to vote and leave your comments.

Love you all and thank you for reading.

K.B.💜💜💚💚💛💛