six

omniscient

"okay, one, who the hell brings a razor to school, y'know how much trouble you could get in for this?"

"i have no idea what you're talking about." billie continued to deny.

"are you seriously gonna act clueless? I saw it fall out of your pocket with my own eyes."

"no, maybe you're confused, like i said a thousand times before, that isn't mine."

"if it's not yours, then lift up your sleeve."

"i'm not doing that, you don't have the right to ask me that."

"if you're hurting yourself, i need to report it."

"i'm not hurting myself, that blade isn't mine." billie shrugged.

miss klein let out a huff, glancing back at Billie's covered wrist.

"you want to scratch it, don't you?" miss klein asked her.

"what? no- i don't know what you're talking about."

"i'm not dumb, billie. i'm really not, lift up your sleeve."

"there's nothing there!" billie exclaimed. "if there's nothing there, then show me."

"oh my god-" billie slumped back into the seat. "i'm not doing that."

"then i have to report this."

"even if i was cutting, you would still report me so it's not like it matters."

"if you're cutting, you need help and that's not a bad thing."

billie gave a nonchalant nod, humming after. "are you seriously singing right now."

"trying to distract myself from you, you're pretty annoying."

"okay, if you don't want to show your arm, that's okay, don't. but is the blade yours?"

"no, it's not mine."

"billie-"

"it's mine. happy now? it's fucking mine."

"are you hurting yourself with it?"

"no, i've never used it that way."

"billie, it's so easy to tell that you're lying-" miss klein paused to get out of her and kneel down in front of billie.

"i need you to be honest with me. it's me, no one else here. just show me, that's all i'm asking."

billie ran her fingers through her hair and let out a sigh. she slowly lifted up the sleeve and reveal the marks and cuts on her arms.

miss klein sighed softly, reaching up to grab billie's hand delicately. "i'm sorry." billie whispered.

"no, no, you didn't do anything, you're okay, but billie..."

"you have to report it, don't you?" billie looked down at her.

"i'm sorry, but i have to."

billie nodded at her words and sniffled again, "great, my parents are gonna send me to that psych place again full of rapists."

"i have no choice. i could get into serious trouble-"

"please? you really don't have to, i'll stop, okay? i promise."

"no, billie. you need help, the only way you're gonna get it is if i tell someone."

"please! i've been through this before. they're just gonna send me to some shitty place, i hate it. i can't go back there."

"isn't that place supposed to be helping you?"

"not at all, please, there has to be another place or something else you can do, if i go there again, i swear i will lose my mind."

miss klein looked back at billie again and ran her fingers through her hair.

"do you have someone home that you can trust?"

"not right now, no. my entire family's going to hawaii for winter break, i decided to stay back."

"friends?"

"they're gonna be gone too, family vacations."

miss klein groaned quietly, knowing she was about to make a decision she really hoped to not do.

"okay, listen, you're gonna stay with me for the break, but no one can know, not your friends and especially not your family."

"no- i'm sorry, i can't, no that's too nice." billie stood up, preparing to leave.

"it's fine, you'll stay with me and we'll figure out a way to get you into therapy and-"

"therapy? wouldn't you need my parents' consent or-"

"no, it's legal in california for a minor to get mental help without their parents consent."

"you're gonna get me help?" billie nodded, "whatever i have to do."

"why? why are you doing this?" billie furrowed her brows.

"truthfully? you remind me of someone, remember when you asked about my tattoos, josie?"

"she's going through the same thing i'm going through right now, isn't she?"

"she was. she lost her battle," miss klein sighed. "mainly because i noticed too late."

"i'm sorry." billie whispered.

"but I'll be damned if i let you slip you away too."

A/n: that was... something