twenty

omniscient

billie can't say that she genuinely feels at her best right now, but after the day with jade, she feels the tiniest bit lifted out of her episode.

the way jade treated her made billie absolutely ten times more thankful for her.

she lets out a relieved sigh before twisting her key in the knob and pushing the door open. she walks in the house, slipping her sneakers off quietly and making her way down the hall and towards her room.

she opened the door and was nonetheless startled by the sight of her parents sitting on her bed, arms crossed, and unpleased look on their faces.

"hey." she speaks out softly and feels her heart drop when the look on their faces doesn't falter. "what's—"

billie is cut off by her dad's voice first, "where were you?" she absolutely hated getting in trouble with her parents. everyone was too stubborn to even try to get to a solution and it would always end up escalating into something worse.

"i was at zoe's." she lies again, hoping to sway them even a little but obviously it doesn't work. billie's heart is pounding in her chest now, she's begging anything higher than her to not let this the way her parents find out about her relationship.

so much could go downhill and there are so many things going on at once in her mind, like how much trouble she could get in, how much trouble jade could get in, how jade would get in even more trouble, and soon enough, she feels so overwhelmed that she begins swaying.

maggie notices her daughter's odd behavior and stands up to grab ahold of billie and lay her down on her bed. "okay, i wasn't with zoe, that's the truth." billie spills immediately, the guilt finally eating her up.

maggie places her hand on billie's forehead and nods, only wanting to hear what billie has to stay. "so who were you with?" her dad asks again.

"or were you out doing something you weren't supposed to be doing? smoking, drink—"

"no, no!" billie gasps out loudly. "no, i was with someone, okay? it's just— i don't kno— well."

"was it a boyfriend?"

"a girlfriend," billie shouts it out and she lets her head fall in her head in shame. her breaths are erratic as her parents fall silent putting two and two together. she definitely did not plan coming out to her parents like this even though she didn't really think about coming out at all.

"i'm sorry i lied." billie whispers and then gasps when she feels the arms of her mother pulling her in a warm embrace. "dear, it's okay. don't feel bad, you just weren't ready to tell us."

no, that's far from the reason.

billie wants to say it, the entire truth, but she knows she can't, she probably will never be able to. she would never jeopardize jade's career or her life like that, she cares too much and she's talking about the woman who pulled her from the deep end of the waters.

"you had me worried all over the fact that you like girls? what made you think we would think of you any differently?" patrick asked her and billie can't help but let out a small giggle at that.

some part of her felt relieved that they were accepting of her sexuality, but still looming in the back of her mind was how they would never be able to meet this wonderful woman billie gets to call her girlfriend.

"what's her name?" maggie smiles at billie sweetly and billie sniffles quietly. "um, her name? it's— it's jade."

hopefully, only knowing a first name would be enough for her parents but of course, it's not.