Unfree

(^me trying to find adjectives to describe Eren's eyes XD)

Click, click, click.

You wordlessly followed Eren out of the ballroom, up a flight of stairs, and down a dark hallway, deeper into the lair of the beast. You were always careful to remain a couple paces behind but your escorts, members of the Paradise military by the looks of it, were careful to remain even further back. At first glance it might appear that they were being careful to give the soon-to-be wed 'couple' some space, but after sneaking one glance at their fear stricken faces, you knew that couldn't be more far from the truth. 

Even the people of Paradise were scared of him. You realized with a gulp. 

As you passed a group of soldiers, these ones wearing a different insignia on their uniforms, they nodded to the tall man before you. "Congratulations." One of them muttered with a slight smirk, communicating something unspoken. 

Eren made eye contact with the group, subtle, but eerily deliberate. You noticed the escorts behind you stir, drawing your attention. What was that? You wondered, but before you had the chance to investigate, Eren was already moving again, taking long paces down the dimly lit hallway that forced you to jog to keep up with. 

A couple minutes later, Eren came to a short stop in front of one of the doors. You were still careful to keep your distance and avoid attention. Eren's emerald eyes swept to the escorts. "You may leave us now." He muttered, with the slightest mock to his voice. You felt the hairs on the back of your neck rise. 

You would be alone...

One of the MPs strayed a glance to you before nodding with a salute and turning to leave. Eren entered the room and you followed behind him, your uneasiness growing by the second. 

The room was finely furnished, a fire crackled in the corner, and there was a table set with two places. Eren used his chin to gesture for you to take the seat across from him and you gulped, obeying the silent command. 

"So, you're from Marley." Eren mused, leaning back in his chair casually to analyze every detail of you. You felt his green eyes burn through your body and soul, and your eyes dropped to the table, unable to meet his stare. 

You nodded keeping your eyes trained on the food before you. Even with such delicacies before you, your gut retched at the thought of trying to eat anything. 

Eren leaned forward in his chair, propping his elbows against his widespread legs and making his gaze unavoidable. "What brought you to this island?" He asked lowly. 

Your tongue was heavy in your throat as you tried to process what he was asking. His emerald eyes never allowing yours to escape. "I-I am here on behalf of Marley." You mutter, trying not to let your voice tremble. 

The brown haired man narrowed his eyes. "So you're a puppet." He mused, eyeing you evilly. 

"It is an honor to serve my country." You snap back, reciting the lies Commander Magath and all the others had told you. 

Eren snickered like you'd just told him the funniest joke. He sighed, picking at the seams of the armrest beside him. "I knew they wouldn't send someone of their own will." Eren mutters, a dangerous look in his eyes. "They would only send someone who they could force. Tell me, Ms.Devine," His eyes return to you, a haunting look ghosting behind his ivy irises. "what leverage does the government have over you?" 

Your mouth bubbled for a response, anything but the truth. They'd killed your father, arguably your mother as well, from shame. There was nothing left for you and Marley knew it. They knew how to exploit it. 

"It is my honor to serve my country in the name of peace." You muttered, reciting your lines perfectly, robotically, just like you'd been taught. General Magath would have been proud. 

Eren was on you before you could process it. You fell back onto the couch as he stood over you, his hands gripping either side of the backboard, caging you in. "What!" You looked up only to see his face there, only inches away. You shrunk back. 

"A/n Devine," Eren seethed, his voice barely more than a whisper. Your heart hammering was almost louder. His green eyes practically glowed, stealing the breath from your lungs as his eyes bore into yours. "You are not free. Not in Marley, and not here." He hissed, his breath warm on your cheeks. He reeked of the dead. Your gut twisted. Eren's green eyes flashed. "Don't you dare try to pretend otherwise." 

"Y-yes." You croaked, fighting big, ugly tears back. 

Eren nodded once. His gaze turned to your cheek, where a stray tear had escaped. He brushed the droplet from your cheek with a cold, distant hand, before pulling away. "Good." He muttered, his voice distant now, soft, almost comforting. 

He made his wayacross the room before pausing at the door. "We leave for Marley for the ceremony tomorrow, don't be late." Eren warned. 

You nodded quickly and without another word Eren disappeared out the door, leaving you alone. 

You reached up and felt the place on your cheek where his hand had touched you. 

"You are not free." 

What the hell?