Options

*NOTE: From this point on, the story continues the plot of AOT toward an end of the series (of sorts). This is being written after the release of season 4 part 1 of the anime, using some events from that. I have not read the manga (aside from a couple spoilers) so this rest of the story is my own influenced take on how the series will end, involving y/n. Please do not be confused, it is not meant to be accurate, simply my own fanwork.*

"I have information.

"I know y/n but it can wait." Armin hushes you. 

The two of you had gone into a secret entrance inside the wall, into a secret underground cavity, which you assume must be the Survey Corps's new base, now that the City has been attacked and overthrown by Jaegerists and nearly flattened in the fighting. 

The base is a series of spread out underground catacombs, impossible to navigate unless you know exactly what you're doing. Anyone else would be lost and stranded until they eventually died a slow death due to starvation, if they didn't loose their minds and jump off the edge of the pathway first. As you follow Armin deeper and deeper underground, you desperately hope that he knows what he's doing. 

Assuming that you can even trust him...

You walk along a raggedy cliffside, looming over a deep trench of darkness, that goes on for as far as the eye can see. 

You'd heard that Paradise had an underground city, this chamber must be a remote branch off of that.

It is dark and the air is stuffy as you stumble along after the blond man, after several more twists and turns he stops in front of an apparent door. 

"Forsake." You hear him whisper, and there's a clicking noise as the lock slides open. 

Armin opens the door and walks through, holding it open for you as well, with a look of sincerity in his eyes. It catches you by surprise, perhaps spending so long in the middle of a war had made you forget such simple, tender acts. You push past the feeling and follow Armin inside the base. 

The first room is small, and looks like it must be for storage, but upon closer investigation, you realize that it is not storage, but emergency supplies. All stack neatly and ready to evacuate if need be. 

The thought sends a chill down your spine. 

The next room opens up into what looks like some kind of kitchen, and you spot a couple soldiers peeling potatoes. They stop to watch you warily as you pass by, and you look away quickly, noting how wounded they look. Their pain is surely Eren's work, one way or another. 

You shiver.

Armin leads you down a narrow hallway, and then into a side room. 

The room is quaint and has two small cots, smaller than the one you'd been given when you were first brought to the Jaegerist's camp. 

The room lacks decoration or any kind of life to it. The only color in the dimly lit room is a ratty, maroon scarf tossed in the corner of the room next to one of the cots. Armin sits you down on the opposite one, and you briefly wonder if this is his room. 

"Us Scouts had to go into hiding after the fall of Sina." Armin mutters placidly as you take in the sparse room. You watch him dig around for something in a bag resting at the foot of the bed. "Commander Hange led us here, they said it was Captain Levi's idea for a back up plan in case things..." Armin trails off, his eyes glazing over slightly as he stared distantly at the worn bag in his grip. 

Armin gulps, refocusing. "In case things didn't go according to plan." He finishes hastily, snatching something out of the sack. 

You can't help but feel guilty, that this all was somehow your fault. 

A braver person in your position would have stood up against Eren. A smarter person in your place would have at least tried to strangle him in his sleep or something. Anything that could have even had the slightest chance at changing the tides. 

But you hadn't...

You had been blinded and fooled and now people would pay for it in blood.

Armin tentatively reaches for the bandages around your neck, looking up at you with bright blue eyes. You blink, not remembering when he had knelt down on the floor in front of you. He moves slow, as if speaking to a nervous animal who'll act on instinct alone. 

Perhaps he is. You think bitterly to yourself.

"Is it alright if I...?" Armin asks softly, gesturing toward your bandages, which are already coming undone from hours of riding in the wind. They hang loosely at the base of your neck. 

You give a quick nod and Armin offers you a small smile as he removes the bandages. 

Looking at him up close, you can't deny that Armin certainly is attractive. He has a certain charm that is starkly different from the rough, animalistic enchantment Eren Jaeger had snared you with. 

Instead Armin's eyes are soft, cradles of blue sky and clean air that emit an air of safeness and warmth. His jaw is soft and his skin milky and supple to the touch. 

At first you flinch as Armin reaches up to brush the scares on your flesh, and he apologizes franticly, but you soon relax. 

He is not like Eren. 

Armin's hands are small, and his skin is soft and cool and safe.

"Why do you trust me?" You mutter suddenly. 

Armin pauses in applying balm to your cracked skin. "I suppose that's a very good question..." He mumbles, more so to himself than to you. Armin closes the balm tin, setting it on the bed side table. 

He slips the seashell charm from his pocket, staring at it for a long moment. "I guess I understand what you've been through, with Eren..." Armin whispers, tucking the charm into a drawer and closing it. He turns back to you. His blue eyes are sad but he offers a weak smile. 

"Besides, we are out of options." 

...

Y/n, short for Your royal horniNess. 

Jeez, leaves her husband to hit his best friend, might go for his sister on the side 😝

Any of y'all Harry Potter/Draco Malfoy fans btw? Just asking ;)

Take care sweeties! Go eat some food! Your gut deserves it!

-author <3