XVII.

BEWARE OF ANSTY TEENAGER DRIVING THROUGH THE ROADS AND THAT SILVER HAIRED GIRL. ROADKILL MAY BE INCLUDED. 

Fitz didn't know where he was going. He just felt himself push his car farther from the speed limit. His hands gripping the wheel, and his eyes only set on a distance.

There were too many thoughts in his head. There were too many feelings pushing against him, blinding him. Till the only thing that anchored him to the world was the smooth rum of his car and the wind that made him feel free. That whipped against his cheeks as if knocking some good old sense to him.
It was only when he realized that there was someone on the road he stopped. Screeched to a halt and wondered if he was seeing things now.

He unlocked his seat belt and glanced back, sure enough a girl was sitting against the blazing sun on top of a guitar case. Her hair...it was white. No, silver. It whipped around her as if forming a halo, it seemed to contrast against the sun that Fitz rubbed his eyes again, and when he opened them she wasn't there.

Good, he was going mad now. He was about to restart the engine when he screamed as he saw the girl next to his door.

"Well, at least I know your not a serial killer now." Her voice was light and there was something about her that seemed so familiar to Fitz. He just couldn't point it out.

"I'm sorry, you scared me. Do you need any help?" He glanced down to her guitar case. It was a rusty brown colour with images of a kitten all over it and some coloured hair boys.

"Not any that I know of. I was just checking up on you. You seemed..." She cocked her head to the side as she surveyed him. "Flustered."

Fitz frowned. Flustered? To his extent no one ever called him that, certainly not a silver haired girl in the middle of no where.

"I'm not the one on the side of a nowhere road." He wasn't sure why he was arguing. Or why he was talking to her in the first place.

The girl smiled at him, "I'm not the one driving on a road that I don't know the name of." She picked up her case and slung it across her shoulder. "You should go. Turn back that is, all the rich kids are from Havenfield."

She then started walking away from the car before stopping, "I'll give you some advice on not to stop for strange girls on the roadside again. Who knows what they are hiding?"

Fitz let out an annoyed sigh, who was she to tell him? She barely knew him. He was just trying to help. But it was when he turned on the car and turned back to where he came from, once again passing the girl he realized he had calmed down.

And when he made it a good few miles, the memory of the silver haired girl on the side of the road was all gone from him now.