09 | 𝐿𝑜𝑎𝑡ℎ𝑒

Kayla stifled a laugh.

She face planted onto my covers whilst laying on her stomach, legs kicking in the air behind her. Her laughter muffled by the fabric of my white and green comforters. "You're saying--" she chortled into the material, "you lied about having a dog?"

I threw my head back, pressing my skull against the headboard. "You heard that correctly," I mused lightheartedly, trying to look optimistic. "By any chance do you have a gold dog stuffed into your house somewhere that I don't know about?" I wondered curiously, even though I knew she didn't, I still hoped.

"No, Mam," she sighed. "Just me and my demon hamster." She grinned at me once her head was lifted up, chin digging into her forearms. "And you named this dog... what again?"

I grumbled under my breath, "Moose--"

"Ha!" she interrupted with her sharp, resounding chuckles. "You're an idiot!" she exclaimed. "Why did you lie about having a dog?"

"It wasn't like that," I denied, but then I asked myself how exactly it went down. "I was texting Victor--"

"Stay away from my man, Man," she teased, but shook her head. "Why were you texting him?"

I scratched my neck awkwardly. "You know how I mentioned he's been helping me try and get Sullivan?" I recalled, and she nodded in agreement. "Well, funny story actually... I was texting him to give advice and Sullivan read over my phone that I was talking to Victor, but I made him think he saw me text my veterinarian," I explained matter of factly, thinking that when I spoke the words out loud, I sounded quite intelligent.

Kayla must've realized I was thinking highly of myself, because she instantly said, "you're an imbecile."

The door to my bedroom opened and I craned my back around, hauling myself over the headboard to see my mom peering in the doorway. "You're doing a lot of giggling in here," she expressed, shaking her head. "Someone's here to see you."

"Who?" I asked dumbly.

Kayla leapt up from the bed, throwing her arms up. "Heyo!" she hollered and my mom stepped out of the way to allow the figure to pass through. Lo and behold it was Jaydon Bach who approached the headboard.

I arched a brow as my mom gave one last smile and sealed the door closed. "Don't get me wrong, I love that you're here, but why?" I sniggered.

"Are you kidding?" Jay rebuked. "I heard about Moose."

I went to speak, but then scowled up at him instead, settling back into my spot on the bed. "I'm done with you two," I retorted, crossing my arms over my chest and chuckling to myself.

"Well," Jay leapt onto the mattress, criss crossing his legs, followed by Kayla who sat opposite of me, intrigued. "I know a way to distract you!" He dug into the pocket of his gray sweats and fished out a quarter shaped piece of paper. I furrowed my brows, watching him unfold the square into a much larger sheet. When I thought it was done, he continued to unfold. The length of the paper was from the top of his head to his waist.

He cleared his throat and read the front, "the best distraction for Azariah Kellman." He unhurriedly fixed the flyer around and my eyes scanned over the vibrant reds and yellows with a banner, saying, 'FIREWORK FUNDRAISER'. Splatters of colors and shapes marked the edges of the thin paper and cartoon fireworks danced above the words.

"Wow, nice," I muttered, not amused. He quickly scanned the front of the flyer to make sure he held out the right side to me.

Kayla palmed her forehead, frustrated. "I told you she wouldn't be excited," she argued, shaking her head timidly in thought.