36 | 𝑇𝑒𝑐ℎ𝑛𝑖𝑐𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑒

"Your grandmother used to always say, 'nothing can cure pain like grilled cheese and tomato soup,'" my mom said, approaching me with a ceramic plate before halting abruptly. "Your bed...? it's blocking the window. How can you get any light through?"

"I have lightbulbs."

"Artificial light shouldn't replace the sun, Azariah." Her tone was condescending as she set the plate down by my feet and sat at the edge with a prolonged sigh. "How's you and Sullivan?"

"Dating."

"I know that, I heard your screams of excitement." She was sarcastic, because the most I did was tell her during dinner. Nothing like how either of us expected. "Has Victor gotten back to you?"

"No." I snuggled closer to my headboard, I squeezed the baby pink pillow in my lap. "He hasn't answered my messages." I paused. "Sullivan and I got a good grade on the assignment."

"That's good." Her voice sounded soft and sad as she analyzed the tidal wave of comforters. She outstretched a weak gesture to the mugs placed sporadically on my night tables and desk. "You planning on cleaning any time soon?"

I peered over to see the laundry on the floor and with no intention of doing so, I leaned back onto my bed and shrugged. "Maybe later."

"Hmm," she hummed, lifting herself from the bed. "I'm hoping to get some work done on the chicken coop. Wanna help me?" Her voice peaked and I knew that she'd been dying to get some things done. After the recent snow flurries and the upcoming blizzard, there wasn't much determination to get any outside work completed.

"No," was all I replied with, sorrowfully at that. "Sullivan and I are going to the movies later."

"That's nice." She tried sounding happy, but then inquired, "have you and Kayla talked recently?" She leaned towards me subconsciously, a part of me thought that she'd always wanted Kayla and I to be friends again. Kayla was a second daughter to her and I think that our fight was refusing to blockade her previous connection.

"No, I don't think we will for a long time."

"At least you have Keiona and Jay, and Victor." She tried to hide the smile skillfully with the tilt of her chin to the floor and I couldn't repress my grin. She liked Victor and that made me feel nice, like I somehow made her proud a little bit by finding some great guy like Victor--as a friend.

"Well, what time is your movie?" she wondered, standing up from the mattress, fixing her flowy purple blouse.

"Later, maybe six." I studied the shirt as she turned to the door. "I don't like that color."

"I know, everytime I wear anything of the purple vicinity you tell me you don't like it," she expressed with a few chortles. "Well, it's five forty-five now, maybe start getting ready if he's coming to pick you up." 

After changing into a gray crocheted sweater and blue jeans, I hurried out to the car with a full stomach, and leapt into the passenger seat. He started to drive off after smiling. "You excited for the movie?"

"Yep," I lied.

Shit, how can our relationship work if I keep lying? 

"So--" I started with an energy to my words. "What's something not many people know about you?"

He silenced and the lack of radio worsened in my ears. "I like football."

"Hmm." I settled in my seat reluctantly, maybe he didn't have a lot going on in his life. I'd never be one to judge. I gazed out the glass pane to see the pattern of similar suburban houses and pivoted towards the radio. "Can I turn on a song?"