49 | 𝑁𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝐻𝑎𝑝𝑝𝑒𝑛𝑒𝑑

Sullivan was not eyeing my waffles, but me.

My fork scraped over each dented square awkwardly as the syrup coated goodness pooled onto my plate. After stabbing my fork into the mouth-watering breakfast, I noticed how soggy I left it. Between the jazz electrified restaurant was our friend's laughter and conversations as if it was a fun game of tennis, back and forth effortlessly.

Victor was forced to sit on the far end. Sullivan arranged the seats briefly, but we all knew that there was a deeper meaning behind them. He found out about the firework show, and he didn't take it lightly. He gave me the silent treatment and I spent most of my night silently crying. I told him I was going before I left the hotel, I asked him if he wanted to come with Victor and I, but he said no. Instead of his presence, there was a plane of guilt. I didn't want him to be mad, but I was so incredibly shredded like paper that it felt almost relieving to get the cool fresh air, alongside the evident feeling of regret.

Despite his rejection, I felt warm at the thought of Victor's approval. Speaking of, I peered over the table and on the far end he was covering his mouth, doubling over in laughter. He ordered a cheese egg omelette. He said it was his favorite and he used to always order it as a kid with his mom at a deli they used to live by. He sipped from his orange juice glass, clearing his throat from nearly choking during his conversation with Kayla, Jay, and Penelope.

I grinned instantly when he briefly mentioned in the conversation that he was adopted, that he was from New York City, and he even cracked dark humored jokes that they laughed at. Kayla told him that her parents fought a lot while saying she named her hamster after her favorite romance novel character in the same sentence.

It was perfect. I was proud of him and I wanted to shower him in kisses and show him--no.

I looked to Sullivan weakly across the table as I insisted, "I never meant to hurt you, I promise--"

"Just shut up," he declaimed. "I waited all night in my bed and you never came," he accused, "even after the firework show I expected you. I haven't done anything wrong and you know that," he sharply hissed, shaking his head with annoyance as if a heavy burden was on his shoulders that he couldn't ignore. He was digging into his hash-browns, starting conversation with Keiona, Olivia, and Rowan.

Clemont came to join our table from chatting with the waitresses at the counter. He stood at the end of the table, clasping his hands together and quieting our conversation. "Alright, I was thinking in twenty-or-so minutes and then we'll head out to the festival slash carnival tonight. We need to help set up and work the games and events. All the money is going to raise to help childhood cancer. Most of the children here tonight have battled, or are still battling, and we need to make it very special for them.

"So, we'll finish up and the bus will take us there for preparation." He gave a few nods at hearing our agreement and confirmation. I quickly engulfed my food and wiped my mouth clean, squealing out the chair with everyone as Clemont paid, using the money from each of the costs of our tickets.

As we filed onto the school bus, we greeted our driver, Gorge, again, giving him a kind wave as we all stalked to the back of the bus, even though the rest was vacant. I found my typical seat next to Sullivan and he squirmed to the furthest side, crossing his arms, and staring out the window.

I rolled my eyes at his childish antics and watched Victor slide in next to Kayla, the two laughing about a previous conversation. Kayla then cleared her throat and declared, "you know, I actually had a crush on you."

"Wait--fuck, really?" His eyes were slightly wide and intrigued as we all settled into our seats.

"Yeah, but don't get ahead of yourself, that was just another one of my phases alongside my phase of wanting to be an astronaut," Kayla jested just as the bus was lurking out of the parking lot.