47 | 𝑉𝑜𝑙𝑢𝑝𝑡𝑢𝑜𝑢𝑠 𝐴𝑠𝑠

[a/n: a real hotel in Canada is in use for this story/chapter. What I say does not reflect the hotel or its staff. All information is based off extensive research, feel free to Google for the benefit of imagery]

-------

"Ninety-five bottles of beer on the wall, ninety-five bottles of beer. Take one down, pass it around, ninety-four bottles of beer on the wall."

I took one glance at Sullivan who was laughing and singing with the rest of us on the bus. He was staring out the window before pivoting in his seat. "Wanna go to prom together?"

I stilled, my body going limp at the thought. "Well, yeah, but--"

"Good."

I wasn't one for grand gestures, but a sweaty school bus wasn't ideal. The black leather seat in front of us squealed back in protest when Olivia prompted her elbows up on the top. "Hola!"

I chuckled, tilting my head up towards her. "Bonjour," I corrected, "we're going to Canada, gotta get in the mood." I teased and she nodded in return, but quickly twisted to Keiona.

"You told me you speak French fluently, right?" she urged, trying to remember, still balanced on her knees as we rode through Montana, passing by a familiar road that made Victor clear his throat, trying to get my attention from his seat beside Kayla.

I stifled a laugh, both of us repressing our smiles. 

"Indeed," Keiona started, clearing her throat firstly before saying, "je suis tellement excité et reconnaissant d'être ici (I am so excited and grateful to be here)."

Rowan sunk into his seat with a flustered expression. "Shit, that was kind of hot," he breathed with a few laughs, wiping a hand over his forehead. Keiona rolled her eyes, giggling to herself before planting a kiss on his lips and making everyone stop and ask themselves when that started happening.

Victor leaned over into the aisle, peeking towards them. "Told you, I saw it from the start--" He was interrupted by Keiona who smacked blindly to the seat behind her. He became a laughing fit, launching to the back of the seat and to Kayla to protect him from Keiona's hand.

"Oh, shut up, pretty boy!" she scolded, falling into Rowan's arms from chuckling as Olivia snapped pictures of the event. "Are you taking pictures?" Keiona implored with a genuine smile. 

"Someone has to document the memories," Olivia pointedly advised, analyzing and scrolling through her camera. "I love photography."

"And is good at it too!" Rowan added brightly.

Sullivan nudged my shoulder, catching my attention as he whispered, "is Keiona a lesbian?"

"No," I told him quietly under everyone' s laughter. "Rowan is transgender. He's a he and Keiona is, well, she likes him." I watched him process it, but he rolled his shoulders dismissively as if he didn't quite care enough.

Clemont stood from the front of the bus. "Is that French I hear?" He is both Chinese and French, and being a teacher for both had sparked his interest to hear it. Keiona nodded and began talking French all the while Clemont communicated.

When the laughter dwindled and the conversation fell, Jay bargained, standing up from his spot behind Kayla and Victor. "Alright, I have a brilliant idea." He had a gleam in his eyes, being that he was also sitting next to Penelope while he angled his body to scan over everyone in the back of the bus. "Who's up for a fun game of virtual Uno?"

A variety of voices erupted and when I raised from my seat to get my phone, Sullivan tugged my arm, shaking his head, uttering, "I want to be with you."