Conflagration

~(Y/n)'s POV~

Ah December, a month filled with holiday cheer and cold weather. Only one of those things bothers me and it isn't the damned weather. Now I don't hate it when other people show their holiday spirit. I, however, am not for it, and hate when I get dragged into it. I had just barely finished with my final in Powers History when Cass had decided she needed to take May shopping for her own clothes, and I needed to come along because I'm the "Number one Shopping-Pack-Mule" according to Cass. That and the Twins had disappeared the second they learned what she was doing.

"I'm supposed to be the number one hero in the city, and yet I'm still getting dragged around by someone who has no powers and someone who plays with toys..." I huffed under my breath.

"Hm? Did you say something?" Cass asked.

"Nothing, it's nothing." I waved it off and changed the subject. "How many stores do you plan on taking her to? And how the hell do I keep getting dragged into this when you have two brothers?"

"What's wrong? You're walking around the city with two beautiful girls. Who could ask for more than that?" Cass teased.

"That's the problem! People are gonna get the wrong idea!" I tried to argue as people, mostly men, started to glare. "Scratch that. People ARE getting the wrong idea." I grumbled

"Quit complaining before I stab you." May commented as a plastic knife grazed my side.

"How can you say that like there isn't a problem with that...?" I asked.

"Relax. If I wanted to do something like that, I would've done it already. I've already been living with you for a week. You would be dead by now if that was my intention." May said as she rolled her eyes and put the toy in her pocket.

"Oh yeah. That makes me feel so much better." I started rolling my eyes as I trudged through the city with them.

Eventually, we end up at the mall to... you guessed it, buy more clothes. Cass claims the best shops are in the mall and May had never been inside. Plus, Cass and myself are tired of May borrowing our clothes. In fact, she's wearing my sweater right now.

Before shopping any further I managed to convince them that we should at least get something to eat before they keep using me as a pack mule. So we stopped by the food court.

As the two girls started to discuss the heroes of the city, and who was the hottest, I looked around the wide space of the food court. It wasn't a bad place, clean, well decorated, well lit...Almost too well lit actually, the lights were way too bright...

That's when I heard the buzzing, and it wasn't that the lights were too bright, but that they were visibly flaring up in brightness. Even the lights kept off during the day that they used to light the court at night were on and getting brighter.

My skin started to tingle and before I even realized what I was doing I had stood up and pushed the two down, covering them with my own body.

"W-What the Hell (Y/N)?!" Cass was pissed, but her face also seemed red. May's face also seemed to grow red but she also seemed to have realized something was wrong. "Hello?! I'm talkin--" before she could finish complaining to me, the buzzing from the lights grew louder, enough for everyone to hear, then, that's when everything went to hell. As if every bulb in the mall shouted with effort one last time, they all shattered, sending glass flying everywhere. People were screaming, Cass and May had both yelped and clung to me. I grimaced since my back felt a bit sore from some shards hitting me.

"Are you two okay?" I looked at them for injuries. May was nuzzled into my shoulder, Cass nodded "Y-yeah...I don't think I got hit." I nodded and moved us under the table, wanting to leave them in cover so I could check what was going on, yet before I could, things got worse.