The Little Mermaid

Please leave comments. I'd love to know what you think! 

.

"Alright. First rule: No mind-controlling."

"I already gave you my word. I said I wouldn't do it again, and I won't."

"Still, we need to write it down." Harry handed Ezi a piece of paper and a pen, but she only stared at it and then at him. He raised an eyebrow. "You can't write?"

"Of course I can write," she said and straightened her back. "But...but you do it."

"Fine, Lazy." Harry sighed and clicked the pen. Ezi watched thoughtfully as he wrote down the first rule and onto the next one. "Second rule: You must stay inside at all times. Maybe I'll take you out for a walk when I have the time, but you cannot leave my house without me."

Ezi tilted her head, her elegant brows knitted as she scrutinised him.

"Okay, that sounds like I'm holding you hostage, but it's for your own good," Harry said. "You are not familiar with the human world, and London will be very very different for you."

"I can protect myself," Ezi argued. "Your kind is weak and stupid."

"I know you can protect yourself," Harry said. "I've seen that. I'm trying to protect others from you."

"Well, there's the first rule to make sure of that."

"But you can still attack people like...physically." Staring out of the plane window on his left, Harry pondered for a second and spoke aloud as he wrote, "Third rule: No attacking random people."

"Including you?"

"Especially me. What the hell? I'm helping you here."

Ezi folded her arms as she blew out her cheeks and leaned into her seat. "Fine. Third rule: You have to teach me to act like a human girl."

"Oh, I will, definitely. Do I still have to write it down though?"

"Yes, do it."

"Okay." Harry rolled his eyes. "Teach...Ezi...how...to...be...human." When he looked up from the paper, Ezi was staring at him.

"Why do you call me Ezi?" she asked.

He gave a shrug. "Too lazy to call you Ezili. Why? You don't like it?"

She bit her bottom lip and averted her eyes. Was she uncomfortable or annoyed or shy? He honestly couldn't tell.

"I heard humans only gave names to those they loved," she finally said, meeting his gaze. "Does it mean...you love me?"

Harry didn't mean to laugh. He tried to hold it in, but it escaped as a snort, and he immediately slapped a hand over his mouth. Ezi glowered at him, so he quickly said, "To be honest, I nickname everyone and everything when I could, so don't worry. I'm not in love with you." He offered a smile despite her looking more displeased than before. "Besides, I can't love you. I barely know you, and we're not even the same species." When she didn't respond or react, he clicked his pen and said, "Back to the list. Anything else you'd like to add?"

Ezi looked at the paper, her brows pulled together thoughtfully. "How long will it take for a human to fall in love?" she asked.

"Depends on the human." Harry sighed. "I think three rules are enough for now. We'll add some more when we have to. You can keep this."

He handed her the piece of paper, and her eyes went wide as if he'd just given her a diamond ring. Harry must admit that Ezi looked cute when she didn't try hard to conceal her emotions.