Heart for A Heart

Sorry for letting you guys wait soooo long for an update. I'm currently rewriting Deep End for my class and it's a completely different story so I've been brainstorming for that and kind of forgotten about this whole plot. Last week I finally got time to sit down and work on this. I promised that I wouldn't leave a story unfinished and I won't!

Summary of what happened in the last chapter:

- Ezili wanted to have sex with Harry but Harry told her that he couldn't do that because it wouldn't be fair for her (she didn't know much about sex).
- Harry's mum came over and had a chat with Ezili which made Ezili realise that Harry dying would hurt other people in his life.
- She also realised that she didn't want to take Harry's heart and she actually enjoyed being a human and spending time with him.
- Chapter 13 ended with Harry finding out Ezili's search history "Which animal's heart is most like a human's?".

.

.

.

Now, where and how could Ezi get a fresh pig heart?

She had spent days doing her research. Apparently, humans didn't hunt anymore, and the animal organs she'd seen in the shops around the city came in a package. She doubted they'd been fresh or real. She wasn't even 100% sure her mother wouldn't see through this charade, so she couldn't risk it at all.

She needed help. And she knew just the person to ask.

"A pig's heart?" Maggie's eyes widened as she dipped her chin and stared over the top of her huge glasses frame. "Now what would you need that for? That must be an unusual shopping list."

Ezi hurriedly followed Maggie around the counter and down one of the book aisles. "It's for the celebration of Harry's new album."

Maggie paid no mind to Ezi as she checked the spines on the shelves and scribbled into the notebook in her hand.

Ezi tried to stay cool and not act too suspicious, but seeing how relaxed Maggie was while Ezi was in chaos really triggered her nerves.

"Look," she told Maggie. "I want to cook this Scanvadian dish that requires a fresh pig heart. Like fresh out of the pig. I know I need to find a butcher, but I don't know one so I think you can help me get one."

Maggie startled her by spinning around so fast their foreheads almost bumped into each other. Ezi's stomach dropped as Maggie's eyes narrowed. She pointed at Ezi with her pen and whispered, "I know what you're up to."

"Y-you...you do?"

"Yes." Maggie squared her shoulders and snapped her notebook shut. "You want to impress Harry with your cooking skills."

"Oh." Ezi blinked, her lungs expanded in relief. "Yeah. I-I do. You got me." She let out a nervous laugh. "I want to make him something exotic."

"I know, I know," Maggie sighed and waved her pen like a magic wand. "These artists. They don't like normal things. I would know since I dated a rock star once. I wouldn't recommend it, but love is blind. Don't worry, my dear. I'll get you that heart."

"Great."

"Now would you like a human heart, too?" Maggie asked just as Ezi turned away.

A chill coursed right through her, and Ezi turned slowly. "What?"

The shadows of Maggie's thick fake lashes on her cheeks looked like two spiders spreading the corners of her mouth into a deranged smile. Then, she tossed her head back and laughed.

"Oh, I'm just messing with ya," she said with a dismissive wave. "Now get back to work."

Ezi nodded and hurried back to the cash counter.