Date Night

A/N: sorry this chapter is so short. I was emotionally unstable when I wrote this last week :D I'll try to write more for the next one. Also, please follow my writing account on Instagram: allie.writes :) Don't forget to leave comments on this chapter!

.

"Hey, do you remember Dolores?" Dawson asked.

"How could I forget?" Ezili murmured, eyeing her sister up and down.

Of course Ezi remembered Dolores. She couldn't if she tried. Whenever she looked at Koa, all she saw was what she could never be, what her mother wished she was, and it only made her despise herself. When she'd first arrived here, she had felt so out of place, but at the same time, free. She still revisited her old life in her sleep, which made her wake up screaming during the night. And despite all the struggles she'd gone through, she felt appreciated. Harry wasn't anywhere near great, but he wasn't bad. He looked out for her even though she wasn't his kind. And she knew if her mother knew she felt this way about a human, she would not be standing here.

But why was she thinking about Harry? He wasn't here. She snapped out of her thoughts and looked around as the vibrant atmosphere of the night market drowned out her thoughts. Her sister came forward and pulled her into a hug. She could feel Koa's claws leaving marks on her shoulders, but she knew it was just her imagination.

Koa withdrew with a smile and lifted those perfect human hands with short blunt nails and twisted her hair into a bun. She looked so human, so natural. Ezili wondered how Koa it, but then she caught a glimpse of the trident hanging on a chain around her neck. She'd been using magic.

Immediately, Ezili grabbed Dawson's hand and pulled him to her side. Koa tilted her head, looking quite confused, which Ezili knew was all an act. Meanwhile, Dawson was blushing. He cleared his throat. "So...Dolores is also here for the book fair. Mind if she joins us?"

"Not at all," Ezili said with a tight smile.

"Great!" Koa said, hands clasped against her chest.

Ezili tried to figure out what her sister's intentions were. Was she here to kill Ezili? Was she here to kill Harry? What if she thought Dawson was Ezili's new target and was here to kill him? Also, how many humans had she killed for her to be here, dressed, act, and talk like a real human girl?

Ezili walked beside Koa as the girl went on and on about how she'd just moved to London, and all the places she'd visited and enjoyed. She must have got all this information from the magic of the trident. She couldn't be more human than Ezili, who'd had to learn everything by herself.

"Harry?"

Ezili's heart gave a lurch when she spotted his face in the crowd. It started with a feeling of comfort, like finding a warm bed in the middle of the raging ocean. But then a tidal wave of anxiety crashed down upon her, and she momentarily forgot about Dawson and her sister. She rushed toward him, pushing past a group of tourists and teenagers who cursed at her.

"There you are!" Harry said, spreading his arms. "My favourite fish."

"What are you doing here?" she hissed and tugged hard at his sleeve. "Why did you follow me here?"

"I didn't follow you here."

"Liar."

"I'm not," Harry sighed and poked the inside of his cheek with his tongue as he looked around. "Where's Dawson anyway? Why are you standing here all by yourself?"

Ezili had no time for his questions. "Harry, go home."

"I'm here to buy books!"

"Oh, yeah? What books?"