Detour

"Again, thanks man. I owe you one. You need anything, call me."

Jace nodded as he got back in his car, driving away from the motel that he had left me in front of.

I turned to the motel and gave it a once over before walking in the opposite direction.

First thing's first, I need a car and some new clothes. Hm, maybe some food, as well.

I don't know if they'll have a stocked fridge at the house. Better to be safe than sorry.

I headed to the nearest car dealer and bought a new, blue, Ford Ranger Raptor (Euro Spec). I had been going to just buy a second hand vehicle but I had been given 3 months break, so I could use a better car. I could also leave the car at my grandparent's place when I went back to work.

I purchased the car with the name Sam Harper. I had gone by the name Sam when I first moved to New York and met Katrina. And Harper was for obvious reasons, being Katrina's last name.

Ava and Bruce were both named Harper. Though on their birth certificates they were Stilinski-Harpers.

I drove my new car to the nearest superstore (Walmart) and bought all the essentials. Bread, Milk, Eggs, Flour, fruit, fresh meats, frozen foods and vegetables. I considered buying strawberries but decided against it, as much as myself and Bruce may love them, it upset Ava- as she had a moderate strawberry allergy. They caused her to throw up and get a small rash on her arms.

I payed for all of my purchases, using my Sam Harper card, and loaded them into the car.

My burner phone, for work, was turned off and would remain that way until nearing the end of my holiday, unless something happened. And my phone under my Harper name, was tucked into my pocket.

Jace still knew me as Sam Stilinski, so I hadn't been too bothered about him having my normal phone number.

He knew that I was special law enforcement, I'd worked with him a few years ago- under the guise of "confidential agent" for the NY branch of homeland security in association to threats of terrorism. He respected that I couldn't tell him a lot of things about what I did or my background, but we'd still managed to find a middle ground in our friendship. Somewhere between his work and the suburbs with Katrina.

I pulled out of the parking lot, and turned onto the main road, heading towards the nearest mall.

When I got there, I took just my wallet and my gun, that was always in the back of my waistband, and headed in- making sure that my car was locked up. I also ensured that I parked between two of the nicer car in the collection of vehicles. Someone with a nice car was less likely to swing their door open and risk scratching their own paintwork.

I grabbed one of the foldable fabric baskets and headed to the men's section. Well, I say men's section but, it was ready just the area with the most men's clothing stores.

I grabbed some three quarter sleeve shirts in varying colours. White, grey, blue and black. As well as, some graphic t's. Nothing like I would wear back in high school, but simple phrases or a saying or some type of brand name/logo. I also got several pairs of jeans, a couple sets of joggers and some military style cargo pants. I wasn't going to get any, but I was seduced by the pockets. I just pictured how much ammo and guns I could carry with them and it made my mind. I then couldn't decide on a colour do I just ended with one of each.

Along with some new, tan colour, timberlands

Along with some new, tan colour, timberlands. I couldn't exactly keep using my tactical style, military grade combat boots for everyday wear, while I was here.

So, in the end, I had my military boots, timberlands and my standardised army boots that were with the other stuff in my car

So, in the end, I had my military boots, timberlands and my standardised army boots that were with the other stuff in my car. Plus, whatever shoes I had already sent to the house, with my belongings, when I first bought it a few years back.

I paid for the clothes and changed into the green cargo pants, the timberlands and a white three quarter sleeve shirt

I was about to exit, when a jacket caught my eye and I couldn't resist dipping into the store to buy it.

It kind of reminded me of Derek, being leather and all.

I sipped it on over my shirt and nodded in approval at the fit, finally leaving.

I threw my new purchases into the back of the Ranger and pull away, idly noting that I had been in and out before either of the owners of the expensive cars had returned. They were probably rich and had been taken in by one of the countless jewellery stores.

I shook my head of such irrelevant thought and focused on the road, finally heading towards my actual destination.

(As always, comment anything you're thinking. I'll read it, even if I don't actually respond. Stay safe!)