The beach

The video came on and I paused it just before it started, freeze framing the water on the sand.

"Hurley had this video made for me. He's the guy that trained me."

I looked around at the pack and smiled bitterly.

"Within the 4 minutes 46, of this video, are both one of the best moments of my life and one of worst. Shit. How's that even allowed."

I looked around the room and smiled.

"At the start, the footage is better because it's the stuff that was on my phone, plus the photographer that I paid to film the proposal. The rest is footage from security cameras, other people's phones and the drones that the CIA had flying over the area, due to the threat of an attacks. And wasn't that a kick in the dick. They knew what was going to happen, but they couldn't stop it."

I leant back against the pillar and watched the screen as the video started playing again, from right at the start, having to load up.

"The guys that made it, made it look like an action film, added the stupid background music and all. Nothing like that to trivialise your pain."

Melissa leaned against my arm and watched the screen, though she and a couple of the others did appear reluctant. They being, Derek, Liam and Peter.

"Oh my god, that was horrible. The ending, I mean." Allison spoke as she looked at me.

I nodded in agreement.

"Were you being followed by drones?" Chris asked, looking at me curiously.

I nodded, surprised that he noticed.

"Yeah, Katrina and I had last minute flights and they didn't have much information about us, so we were treated as potential targets. Hence, the drones that were locked onto both of us."

Chris nodded in understanding.

"I'm not really one for getting all emotional but, that sucks Stilinski. I'm sorry you had to go through that." Jackson spoke kindly and I was a bit shocked but I quickly shook it off and nodded to his words.

"Do the twins know what happened? Do they know what you do for a living?"

Malia asked and I cringed at her questions.

"As far as the second one goes, we have no secrets. They know what my job is, they know what I do and they know why I do it. As for the first one..."

I frowned at my own words, not liking how it sounded.

"Yes, unfortunately. They know exactly what happened to their mother."

"Why would you tell them?" Scott asked. It wasn't accusing, though there was a note of that, more confused.

"It was an accident. I left my phone on the table in our kitchen and Bruce decided to play a game on it. He somehow found his way to my email and came across both this video and some others. He and Ava watched all of them. They didn't really understand, at first. But Ava's very smart, she figured out what they were and explained it to Brucie. I refuse lie to my children, so I told them the truth. And when they asked me if the bad men got what they deserved, I told them truth again."

Scott nodded in understanding and I disconnected my phone from the TV, turning it off.

"You treat them like they're all grown up." Chris said as he looked at me searchingly.

"Far from it, actually. Ava's my baby girl, my little princess and Brucie's still the little Prince that he's always been. They're both still children and enjoying their childhoods to the fullest. They get pampered and I buy them presents, every time I visit a new place for work."

Chris nodded in acceptance of my answer, before Kira spoke up.

"I saw something. When they spoke of the goblins, calling them 'monsters', there was something dark that entered their faces. It was a bit spine-chilling."

I shook my head in amusement.

"You shouldn't fear their second personas. They've both been trained extensively with close combat, marksmanship and different knives. They can hunt and navigate, as well as having a large array of knowledge about wild berries and foraging."

"Again, why?" Lydia asked as she looked at me questionably.

"In my... line of work, let's say. I make enemies of a lot of very dangerous people. I have to make sure that my children can't be used against me. That's why my grandfather and I have been training them. I do it mostly, but he takes over when I'm away for work."

"Is that why you've come back here? Because of the dangerous people."

I shrugged my shoulder at the question from Lydia.

"Yes and no. Yes, because a contract killer found us 6 months ago while the kids were staying at my grandparents' house. He was dealt with, swiftly. I wouldn't have made my presence known, if he hadn't gone to the wrong house and started shooting innocent people. And no, because we also moved here due to my grandmother's health. She needs a more relaxing environment. My grandparents are at a spa in the next town over for the weekend. Hence, the twins and I heading into town for the day."

Lydia nodded and I looked around the room, seeing if anyone else had anything to say.

When no one spoke, I looked at Melissa, who was still holding my arm.

She looked uncertain but, after a nudge, asked her question anyway.

"The twins... they mentioned some bedtime stories?"

I understood what she meant and smiled at the room at large, addressing all of the occupants.

"I didn't much fancy the boring Roald Dahl books. Course, I've read them to the twins as well, but they much prefer the stories of Beacon Hills. Made child friendly, of course. Meaning that I use cute nicknames instead of your real names and leave pretty much all the rest the same. The past of this town is a bit like a tragic fairytale, in itself."

Peter nodded at what I said.

"So, you told your children, about Beacon hills." He spoke slowly, as always, his words well calculated.

I nodded, not missing a beat.

"Yeah. 'The man who went to Mexico' and 'The burnt wolf' are their favourites."

Peter chuckled darkly.

"The burnt wolf? I thought I'd be one of the nightmare stories."

I smile at that. Apparently some things never change. Peter still feels like he isn't trusted fully, like he's the bad guy when he enters the room.

I slowly look around the pack and my eyes settle on Scott.

"We still need to talk about the hag."

(Please comment! And vote! And stay safe!)