Reunion Pt.2

"What about me?"

We pulled back and I looked over at my son, smiling in amusement.

"Don't worry, I didn't forget you."

I stood and dug around in the bag, pulling out a larger box.

I passed it across and Bruce made a startled noise of excitement.

"Woah!"

I couldn't help but laugh at his reaction.

"This is so cool! The new Oculus Quest. Where did you get it?!"

I laughed as he looked up with wide eyes.

"Believe what you may but, I know people. Plus, I was in Korea for a few weeks. I stopped by one of their firms to pick it up. Think of it as a, 'sorry I missed the camping trip' gift."

Bruce nodded and looked at me with his head tilted curiously. He honestly looked like a puppy, that thought actually sort of reminded me of Liam and how he looked when he used to get all confused.

"Does that mean that you got something else for me? If this is an apology gift."

I nodded and shook my finger at him, impressed.

"You, mister, have a smart brain."

He smiled as I reached back into the bag and pulled out his actual gift. The VR set was probably going to become a shared toy, between them, anyway.

I pulled out a wrapped box and passed it to him, the front said FRAGILE, so he was careful as he opened it.

He gasped when he saw the antique, french gold, pocketwatch.

"It's beautiful." He spoke quietly, mesmerised by the patterns in the casing.

"Found this little gem in an old antiques store. Hidden away in a side street off of a shopping district in London. It's from an old French family that migrated to England after the First World War."

Bruce nodded along as I spoke, eyes never leaving the beautiful pocket clock.

I had seen it in passing and I knew instantly that he'd love it. He had begun collecting pocket-watches a few years back, after my grandfather taught him how to repair a clock- showing him his own old pocket watch in process. Since then, Bruce had developed something of a fascination with the small intricate devices.

"Thank you."

Bruce moved around Ava's chair and buried himself into my front, his arms around my waist.

I hugged him back and rested my chin on top of his head, as I leant down into the embrace, rubbing circles into his back.

"You're welcome. I'm glad you like it."

~~~~~~~~~~

"So, what have you been doing since you came down here? Have you visited the town yet?"
I looked around at them curiously, waiting for an answer.

Pops shared a look with my grandmother and looked back after clearing his throat.

"We went down there a few weeks ago, but came back quickly and haven't been down again since. There were reports of strange animal attacks around the school and in the surrounding area. Thought it best not to visit without you."

I nodded in understanding. That's always been how we worked. If something seemed dangerous or suspicious, they would keep the twins away until I got back and could take them there instead. I'm stronger, better at defending both them and myself. It's a strategic move.

"Cool. Thanks."

I turned to the twins and tilted my head at them, watching as Ava yawned and snuggled into my side, my arm wrapped over her shoulders to keep her warm.

"Alright, time for bed. You rest up and tomorrow we'll go into the town for the day. Okay?"

Ava nodded sleepily while Bruce nodded along on my other side, as we had relocated to the sofa after they received their presents.

I stood up and lifted Ava into my arms, letting her curl around me like a koala as she began to drift off to sleep.

"Come on, Brucie. Say goodnight to Nan and Pops and grab your new things."

I went over to the steps and began walking up, slowly, with Ava in my arms.

"Night nanny. Night Pops."

I looked over and saw Brucie giving them both hugs before pulling back to grab the VR set and his pocket watch and following behind us.

"I'm knackered so I'm gonna turn in as well, see you tomorrow. Have a good evening."

They smiled and nodded in agreement, moving back out towards the fire pit area, while I continued on upstairs.

(Pleassseeeee... COMMENT. Okay, but, vote too. It helps. Stay safe! Peace!)