Chapter 38

Xisuma's POV

It takes me a few minutes to comprehend what just happened.

Evil X turned out to be Ezra, he began attacking me...

Then I panicked, and did something awful. The one code Generik told me to only use in emergencies. I banned my own brother.

The looked of pure horror and pain on his face lingers in my mind. The sudden realisation of what I'd done as the world seemed to slow around me. He looked terrified, all that anger gone as soon as it came. Ezra's body began to dissolve before me, and my entire stomach filled with dread. I ran toward him, desperately trying to grab his arm, but it was too late. Tears had begun to flow down his cheeks as he whispered words that broke my heart.

"I'm sorry 'Suma"

Then he was gone.

Now I'm left, alone with only his helmet in my hands, mine discarded somewhere nearby. Tears land on the red visor as I sink to my knees. Whether he was still alive or not, I don't know, but the man who attacked me wasn't my brother. Whatever made him do those things seemed to let go of him once he began to disappear.

I don't know what happens to people who banned. Some say they're thrown into the Void to die. Ezra's able to survive there, he might be ok... though the look of agony on his face told me otherwise. His magic isn't even half as strong as mine, he won't be able to stay there for long.

He's going to die and it's going to be my fault.

I hug my brothers helmet to my chest, breaking down into tears. Despite it reminding me of the man who tried to kill me, it's the closest thing I have to him. After a few minutes, or what could even be a few hours, I hear footsteps in the grass behind me. I don't know who it is, and I don't care that I'm not wearing my helmet. Nothing matters anymore.

"Xisuma?"

The voice is soft, and clearly Scar's. I don't turn, and out of the corner of my eye I see him sit down beside me. I suddenly feel incredibly self conscious, despite my face being covered by my knees and arms and therefore not visible.

"I... I have your helmet if you want it"

I see a small glint of metal to my side, but mumble something along the lines of 'no'. Despite feeling incredibly uncomfortable being next to him without it on, I just don't want to wear it right now.

"I can go if you need space"

I respond by taking his hand in mine, indicating that I want him to stay. After a moment I feel his other hand stroke my hair gently, and I shudder. Scar pulls his arm back, mumbling an apology.

"No... I-it's ok. It's just that nobody's done that for a very long time"

My voice is muffled, but he seems to understand, going back to the soothing motion. You'd think a Vexling would be rough or mischievous, but not Scar. The Convex member is the sweetest person I know.

"You know, I really don't understand why you wear that helmet." He admits.

"Neither do I sometimes... I guess I just don't like my face."

"It can't be that bad, mine is covered in scars... hence the name I guess."

"You sure about that?" I ask, looking up at him. At first he looks surprised but his face suddenly lights up.

"Oh my gosh, your eyes are purple?" He gasps, grabbing my face in his hands just a little too roughly. "That's so cool, I thought it was just the helmet!"

"No, that's... just how my eyes look." I laugh, smiling a little.

Then I remember why I'm upset, and go quiet again. Ezra was banned, suffering in the Void as I spoke, and I was just sitting here in the grass not doing anything about it.

"I uh... I need to go and do something Scar." I admit. "Thank you for helping, but it's really important."

I get up and leave before he can even answer, leaving my helmet behind but still holding Ezra's in my hands as I ran home. I didn't care if it took all night, all week, or even a year. I was getting my twin back as soon as possible, I couldn't lose him again.