Chapter 68

Ezra's POV

I'm trapped in the darkness again. I hear the people I love screaming but I can't get to them. I can't breathe. I can't move. I can't escape. I'm here for a reason. I've hurt them again. They don't want me. They put me here. They want me dead-

"EZRA!"

I wake up screaming, soaked in my own sweat and shaking in fear. I'm gasping for breath, unable to inhale or exhale properly, until someone grabs me by the shoulders.

"It's ok! Ezra it's ok, I'm here! You're safe!"

I recognise the voice as Grian's after a moment, and am able to regain my breath once I know it's him. My heart still pounds rapidly in my chest, and the nightmare is still clear in my mind.

I notice that it's pitch black outside, meaning it's probably the middle of the night. Then I squint into the darkness, seeing 20 pairs of eyes staring at me. Well, 2 people only have one eye, and a robotic one in place of the other.

I can tell that Joe and Xisuma are by my side too, seemingly concerned. I feel the blood rise to my cheeks and try to hold back my tears.

"S-sorry to wake you... you can just go back to sleep." I mumble, voice shaky with fear.

"No." Someone says stubbornly, a woman with a British accent. "You're not ok love, so we're gonna make sure you're ok."

"Seriously? Why should we care about this guy?" A voice with a distinctly German accent grumbles, but the sharp yelp soon after, probably a result of an elbow to the ribs, makes it clear his opinion wasn't popular among the Hermits.

Someone snaps their fingers, Grian I assume, and the lights turn on. I'm relieved, the darkness of the room having made me very uncomfortable.

Now that everyone can see me, a shaking, sweaty mess without my binder on, I feel even more embarrassed. Nobody brings up the last one of those, seeming more concerned about the first two.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Grian asks me quietly. I shake my head, but you wouldn't be able to tell due to the shaking of the rest of my body.

"Do you wanna hug my cat? It might help." A Vexling with brown hair and green eyes asks quietly, shyly holding out a grey and white cat.

The cat comes over to me of her own accord, settling down in my lap. I gingerly touch her fur, and when she seems to relax that relaxes me too, and I keep on gently stroking her.

"That's it for me. Anyone Jellie trusts, I trust." Another man with dark brown hair and eyes decides. I think I've seen him before, though I'm not certain.

Everyone stays fairly quiet in the following minutes, until Xisuma has an idea.

"I think I know what would help." He offers. I nod my head, willing to listen.

"Would you want to see our parents tomorrow?"

It's such a simple question, but it makes me feel incredibly emotional. I haven't seen my moms since I was taken away from them nearly 15 years ago, and I didn't even know if they remembered me or not.

I nod, trying not to cry, but I eventually crack and break down into tears. Xisuma, Joe and Grian keep hugging me protectively, and a couple Hermits scoot over to offer a comforting pat on the back.

I eventually nod off to sleep in Grian's arms, unable to wait to see my parents again.