chapter four

It was almost 10 o'clock at night. Susie was sitting in her room. Ever since she quit the mission at scoops, she felt much more calm.

Besides, she was never interested in spying on some evil Russians. She did not have a death wish this summer.

All of a sudden, there was a knock at her window. Susie furrowed her eyebrows. She looked around her room cautiously. Who could possibly be there at that hour? She grabbed a pair of scissors, and slowly crept towards the window.

When she lifted it open, she screamed, holding up the scissors. 

"Ahh!" A deeper voice shouted, startled. There was a clang against the pipes running up the outside of the house.

Susie dropped the scissors, running closer and peering over the window. It was Steve. He hung from the window, struggling to get back up.

"A little help?" He requested. 

"Go to hell." Susie rolled her eyes, turning around and returning to sit on her bed. 

"And leave you here all alone?— Hey! Don't avoid me!" 

She hoped he would just leave, but eventually, he pulled himself up.

"Somehow you don't even have to open your mouth to make my head hurt." She commented. 

"It's a real shame nobody asked for your opinion." Steve mumbled.

Susie looked towards him with squinted eyes. He sighed. "Look, the team wants you back... and I offered to come and get you."

"Well aren't you a hero?" Remarked Susie sarcastically. Steve paused for a moment. "Listen, Susie, I'm sorry I overreacted earlier. Happy?" He apologized. 

"I think I actually hate you." Susie exasperated. 

"Yeah, I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that." Steve nodded.

"Oh, do you ever shut up?" Susie whined.

 "If it makes you feel any better... you can slap me.... lightly." Steve suggested.

"You don't get it." Susie shook her head and looked down at her crossed legs on the mattress. "Why are you being so nice to me all of a sudden?" She wondered. 

"Well, the others think I was being an asshole earlier and—" Steve began.

"See, Steve, that is exactly why you are so pathetic. If you're coming to apologize just because the others wanted you to, knock yourself out, but I'm not coming back." Susie interrupted.

"Of course. Right. I know you hate me." Steve sighed. 

"I don't hate you, I just strongly dislike you." Susie corrected.

"Are you still mad? You look mad." Steve inquired.

 "I'm not mad." Susie denied. 

"Your face is all screwed up like you're mad." Steve continued. 

"Gee, thanks. I'm exhausted, not mad." Susie replied in frustration.

Steve nodded slowly, leaving them in silence for a moment. "You still look mad." He commented.

 "I'm not mad but I will be soon!" Susie shouted. 

"Jeez okay." Steve held up his hands in defense. "I'm sorry. You just give off the impression that you wanna murder everyone you look at."

"Yeah, well I just shut everybody out. Don't take it personally. It's just easier." Susie rolled her eyes. 

"You know it's okay to show emotion, right?" Steve raised his eyebrows. Susie didn't respond.