chapter fifteen

The next day, after the group fell asleep once again in the Wheeler basement, Susie was awoken to the sound of Eddie on Dustin's walkie talkie. 

She slowly opened her eyes, confused for a moment by her surroundings. She had fallen asleep sitting up against the wall. She lifted her head off of someone's shoulder. Beside her, was Steve, who was also passed out. He had his arm wrapped around her shoulder.

She sighed, pushing off his arm and standing up, nearly losing her balance. She stumbled her way over to the table, where the walkie talkie was set. She rubbed her eyes in hopes that it would wake her up. Everyone else was still asleep.

"Dustin, can you hear me?" Eddie asked over the walkie talkie. "Dustin? Earth to Dustin."

Susie picked up the walkie talkie with a tired yawn. "Hey, it's Susie."  

"Wheeler! Hey." Eddie greeted loudly. Susie grimaced at the sudden loud noise. 

"Um, I'm gonna need a food delivery, like, really soon, unless you want me going out into the world." Stated Eddie. Susie sighed. "No. No, no, no. Don't do that." She responded. "Just stay where you are, and we'll be there as soon as we can."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." Eddie continued. "Listen, um...can you pick me up a six-pack? I know, it's stupid as shit, drinking right now, but a cold beer would really calm my jangled nerves." He requested.

Susie turned around to look at the couch where Max had fallen asleep. She noticed that Max was no longer there. Her eyes widened. "Uh--Hey, I'm gonna have to call you back." Said Susie quickly. She set down the walkie talkie.

"No, don't you da-- Wheeler? Wheeler?" Eddie called out. 

Susie rushed over to Nancy. "Nancy!" She shouted, causing the girl to immediately sit up from the floor, where she had fallen asleep.

"Yeah. I'm up." Nancy squinted her eyes at the light.

"Max is gone." Susie explained, before making her way over to Dustin. "Dustin!" She shook the boy. He hummed. 

"Wake up!"

"What?" He leant his head back, hitting it against the TV behind him. He groaned. He had drool running down from his mouth.

"Aren't you supposed to be on Max watch?" Susie reminded. 

"Yep. Yep, yep, yep." Dustin remembered. He rubbed his eyes. "Sorry."

"Okay, then, where is she?" Nancy commented. 

"She's right there." Dustin pointed at the couch, then noticed that there was no one on it. "A second ago." He furrowed his eyebrows. "I swear, I just dozed off for..." He glanced at his watch. "...an hour."

In a rush, Susie, Dustin, and Nancy made their way upstairs. Once they reached the kitchen, they found Max sitting at the table with Holly. They were relieved.

"Jesus." Susie exhaled, placing her palm on her forehead. 

"Morning, guys." Mrs. Wheeler greeted as she made eggs on the stove. Mr. Wheeler was sitting, reading the newspaper. 

"Everything okay?" Wondered the woman. 

"Yeah." Replied Nancy. "Yeah, everything's okay." She sighed, staring ahead at Max. Max looked back at the three of them.

"I think it's so sweet that you guys are sticking together like this." Karen smiled. 

"Could try sticking together at a different house for a change." Mumbled Ted, looking up from his newspaper. Nancy ignored his comment and made her way over to Max. Karen sighed, then turned to Dustin and Susie. "Dustin, you know you're welcome here anytime." She assured.