3 || Pleasant Hospitality

Link can't remember the last time he's sat in front of a full meal. After years of eating fresh fruit and sun dried jerky made of Moblin meat, he's forgotten just how good meals can both look and smell, so one can imagine the way his mouth waters at the sight of a plate filled with steaming cucco paired with a side of roasted vegetables.

"Thank you for this meal. Truly...I appreciate it."

"Should you not wait until you've tried it first to thank me?" You jest, taking the seat across from him with your utensils set up neatly around your own plate.

"I can tell simply by the way it looks that it will taste wonderful. Thank you, ma'am."

"I assure you, it's really nothing, and as I've said before, you don't have to keep calling me 'ma'am'. (Y/n) is completely fine."

Link gives a distracted nod before commencing his meal in a way that contrasts any proper manners of his. Perhaps he isn't the best choice of judge seeing the horrid excuses of food he's become accustomed to during his travels, but your cooking truly is some of the best he's had in his life. After a single bite, he already promises himself he'll be eating every last scrape off his plate until it's completely clean.

"So-" you start after a while of silence, attempting to keep your eyes focused on your own plate as you go on to ask,"-what do you do on your travels exactly?"

"I don't think the life of a traveler is as exciting as you might think," Link shakes his head, cutting off another piece of cucco," I simply travel across the land. There isn't always a reason nor destination to where I go, however, I do complete some trifling jobs here and there which allow me to gain some rupees necessary to afford supplies. I also collect certain materials such as monsters parts or any other rare item you wouldn't find near civilization which I then sell to merchants."

"Huh," you lean forward slightly with your cheek resting against your hand," isn't it dangerous?"

"It's not for the faint of heart, I'll say that with certainty. The further you get from civilization, the worse the terrain and monsters become. Out there, it doesn't matter how brave you are nor the type of weapons you carry; if you lack the knowledge on how to fight, you won't last a day. That's the issue with the people in these towns, especially the guards. They get so used to their safe lives here that they either underestimate danger or chose to ignore it all together...The worst part is they sugarcoat what actually lies outside which only puts more people in that wrongful mindset-" he stops himself suddenly, picking up his water glass to take a sip while muttering," I apologize. I shouldn't speak that way."

"About the guards?" He gives a short nod. To his surprise, you roll your eyes while sitting straight again," yes, you'd be very smart not to insult any guards in front of the wrong people, but I don't mind what you have to say about them in this house so long as it's just us around. After all, I highly doubt anything you can say will be worse than what father does."

"Does your father speak ill of the guards? I figured he'd be on good terms with them if they provide business...Surely they do, don't they?"

"Of course, we do business with plenty of guards. The thing is, father has worked as a blacksmith his whole life, trained by my grandfather who worked as one all of his life. It comes with the job to realize whether or not someone knows what they're talking about when discussing sword options which means father is well aware that those men have no idea what they're doing. Nevertheless, he always pours his heart into anything he crafts with the intention and hope that it'll be used to reach its full potential, but when one of his swords is used as a display piece instead, well, it drives him mad, to say the least...but it's our family's business. No matter how worthless it may seem from a passion point of view, the sale provides money regardless of how the sword is used."