7 || A Father's Condemnation

Despite the unwillingness Link had previously expressed towards staying in town for any longer than required, he's become somewhat of a regular visitor over the course of the last two months (not that you've ever protested).

The traveler's presence in your life is a gift you cherish; an unaddressed puzzle piece never realized to be missing until recently. He's something to you that no one has managed to be. Yes, you're close to your father and the caring neighbors that make up your close-knit community, but Link fits a different category altogether.

There's something unique about the specific way he makes you feel by a single glance or trend of his touch. Around Link, you gain a dizzying flutter within your chest and a childish yearning to become drunk on his undivided attention which is a selfish desire you can't say you've felt around anyone else before. Fortunately for the sake of your sanity, he takes pity upon your aching heart by visiting far more often than he claimed he would.

Not that he could ever admit such an embarrassing weakness aloud, but the man can't get within even a few miles of your village without stopping by for at least an hour long chat. Similarly to your own feelings, Link feels a comfort within his soul by being around you. You've effortlessly grounded him to a life he swore off years ago, unknowingly tying him with a knot around your finger, and frankly, with each encounter he finds himself fighting the pull less and less.

Of course, the best moments between you two are the rare evenings where you actually manage to convince him to stay the night. As rare as they are with Link remaining cautious of the idea, you've formed a strategy that has yet to fail in entrancing him. Never ask too often, always when your father's away, preferably when the weather is bad, and no one must know he was at the smith to begin with because, as he continuously frets, 'rumors would swirl'. If you argue your case accordingly and swear that not a soul will notice, he'll be more inclined to give into risk and temptation, although rubbing a thumb over the soft backs of his hands will further secure success.

Nothing indecent happens when Link stays the night. Forever the gentleman, you already know he'd completely refuse any chance of sleeping in the same bed which is why you've never suggested that sort of thing, but that doesn't mean you haven't draped yourself over his lap, snuggling your head to the crook of his neck while reading a book aloud in candle light.

It had been awkward at first with your cheeks feeling like they could overheat at the thought alone, however it has officially become your favorite pastime. With practice, Link, too, has grown accustomed to having you encased in his strong arms, his chin sometimes perked on top of your head as his eyes drift to a close. There you'll read for hours, only stopping to ensure he's still awake (to which he'll respond with a sleepy hum and smile) or until you yourself nod off.

The next morning, you always wake in your own bed, curled in blankets that you then drag around the house while searching for Link, although never once has he awoken before you. Instead, the traveler will sleep into the latest hours of the morning if left undisturbed. Having returned to your chair in the living room after carrying you to bed, you always find him snoring in the faint glow of the early sun that's hidden behind the curtains; a beautiful sight indeed, however it does make you think.

Instructed by your own instincts, you often stand quietly beside his sleeping form as you are now, delicately fixing his bangs while wondering: what is this man to you? You've never questioned it aloud, hoping that he'll give an unprompted answer himself so that you won't have to experience the stress of asking.

Surely you're something put together? There have been all those shyly stolen kisses, the embraces as you leap into his arms whenever he first shows his face in the village after a spell of time, and he no longer objects to cuddling, yet you still haven't heard the words spoken from his mouth. With all facts considered, you refuse to believe he doesn't feel that way about you. Is he afraid to admit it in spite of everything? Must you say it first?