19 || Light in Darkness

The days moved quickly after Link's return, allowing little rest or preparation much to your despair. Cruelly, despite practically four years for being kept apart, you were both only compensated with that first night and next day of peace together. After that, business could no longer be ignored; not for the good of Hylia's Land anyways.

Katsurō had come by that second morning to debrief Link on all that's known about the war. Not a soul has seen Demise yet, only the stretch of his army where he must be hiding somewhere within. They camp in the far north, and while the main group hasn't progressed any further than the borders of Eldin, parties have been steadily sent to wreak havoc elsewhere. As a result, many Hylians have been chased from their homes, slowly closing in towards Faron for refuge.

Later that night, Link admitted his concern that the same fate would eventually befall your own quiet village - something he'd end up being right about with time - but after discussing the matter more with Hiroto and you, he decided it best to hold off on evacuating prematurely. The closer Hylians get pushed together, the less resources there will be available to them and the weaker you will appear to Demise, thus the final call was to simply remain put for as long as safely possible until the day a large monster swarm could be spotted marching your way, however that wouldn't come for a few months.

In the meantime, you pretended to be ignorant towards such frightening thoughts. You savored every second you could spend with Link, no longer caring if others saw the kisses you give to his cheeks or if you seemed misplaced in meetings where battle plans were discussed.

No one ever said anything since it made sense to them that the village's blacksmith would have some kind of say in the plans that would ultimately involve her weapons, however a secret side of you has always been more stubborn to excuse your own presences as being completely justified not because of your profession, but because of your status as the hero's wife. It's your husband who is going to risk his life for Hylia's Land. The least everyone else can do is allow you these small moments with him.

You tried your best not to sour your domestic comfort with thoughts of war. You really did try in the beginning. You convinced even yourself that Link was only training in preparation for his usual adventures. You ignored that bittersweet feeling in your heart when he informed you his fingers no longer struggle to draw back a bowstring or that his arms don't burn as much anymore when he swings a sword. You wanted nothing more than to focus on your joy in seeing your husband's health finally improve over those early weeks, not to burden yourself with the heartache you suffered when he gently broke the news to you that he'd be going on his first patrol.

Link returned to you that night and left the next morning - a pattern that would be repeated again and again. Gone then back before dinner, never with injury until the fourth patrol. Soon afterwards, you had to relearn how to not be surprised whenever he reappeared in the doorway both bleeding and broken.

Sometimes it was a sneaky bokoblin that had jumped at his group. Other times it was a battle he purposefully started because there was a camp of moblins and lizalfos staying far too close to the village for his liking. Either way, Link was back to his old habits as it seemed, leaving on longer missions that began to keep him from home for days on end until he'd return with a new scar you'd have to add to your memories.

When the hordes of monsters finally arrived, the villagers left. It happened during the night, with many sleepy minds and crying children. Many argued, however who would hear their complaints? The bokoblins that burned their homes to the ground? The moblins who herded their livestock away for a later feast? The lizalfos who attempted to catch up with your group only to be kicked in a blaze of arrows from your protectors? There was only one choice for survival in which all Hylians eventually had to make: journey to Skyview where you are all reunited as a race under Hylia.