11 || Spring Flowers

Where the seasons had once moved at the pace of sap curling down tree bark, spring seems to have appeared at the very second that you blinked. No longer is the ground covered in several feet of snow nor do you spend the entire day worrying over the fire going out, leaving the house bitterly cold. Instead, you remain pleasantly warm even without the fireplace full and the garden has bloomed a beautiful array of flowers including the very one Link had once gifted you years ago. Of course by this time, the purple flora has expanded just as you had hoped, creating an entire patch of offspring just like it.

You've been looking forward to spring for quite some time, yet now that the season has officially arrived, you can't help but feel the burden of worry expressed through your constant pacing and fretting. Sure, the sky is clear now, but what if it suddenly begins to rain? What if you mess something up out there? Is your dress without stains? Is your hair without any lone strands? Everything must be perfect today, thus you must maintain such standards even for yourself.

Every friend assures the same, silenced by your beauty and cursed with giddy smiles as they look you over for the hundredth time. Yes, you look amazing. Yes, you will steal eyes. And yes, your new husband will be entranced; you haven't a single thing to worry about. It's only traditional wedding day jitters that every bride feels, yet you still wish they'd fade nevertheless.

"We should get the roses now," one of your friends suggests, hands hovering over you as she debates her next move," we want them to be fresh. Not long now."

"Do we have the ribbons to tie them?" Another questions.

"Shoot, I don't know if I-"

"-Right here. Here they are," to everyone's relief, the third holds the basket of ribbons, threads, and needles into the air triumphantly. The women share her excitement, giving you careful hugs so as to not destroy their previous hard work towards getting your appearance ready.

"We shall be back in a jiffy," they all promise, leaving you to giggle and look back to your appearance in the mirror ahead.

You must've changed your stance a dozen times, turning at every possible angle with your held high then down low. Painted lips pressed together, you wonder if the reaction outside will match the warm ones your friends have showered you in. Having grown up together, it's entirely possible that their opinions carry heavy bias, however their encouragement has still given you spirit, making you feel as beautiful as you certainly look. Thirty minutes, did they say? That really isn't much time in the grand scheme of things...

Hearing your name be called, you're ripped from your thoughts, your attention pulled to the open window where you're sure you heard the voice come from. Wandering over, you push the glass up a bit further, half tempted to peek outside, although you keep your head in," Link?"

"Have the others left?"

"They have, but you should hope they don't come back. They'll throw a fit to see you here!"

"Ah, then I'll be gone before then."

You feel yourself smile at his response,"...I'll have you know it's bad luck to see your wife-to-be before the wedding."

"But I don't see her. Unless there's a superstition about talking to her before?"

"Hmm, I'm sure there's one somewhere..." You lean against the wall next to the window, certain that Link's doing the same on the opposite side. The two of you remain out of each other's sight despite the burning desire you've had all morning to do just the opposite. Alas, stupid tradition calls for different, a barrier between two lovers to last the entire day until it's time for you to walk down the aisle. Only thirty minutes until then.