12 || The Lives of Two

There's something about domestic bliss that you can't quite tie words to. It's a sort of calm that flows throughout your entire body in the company of your fluttering heart where everything just feels so...right.

If you were to try tracing back to the beginning of this intoxicating feeling of love, it might lead you to the first time you woke up alongside your new husband. It had been late in the morning - nearly afternoon, in fact - with the sun barely creeping inside through the curtains' edges. This provided just enough light to contrast the shadows over Link's face with a golden highlight along his cheeks as he snored quietly beside you.

Nothing had changed from the night before. You were still curled to his bare chest, his arms secure around your waist in refusal to ever let you go, although it isn't like you had any objections. No, you simply smiled at the sight, choosing to admire your husband's sleeping form for a bit longer before closing your own eyes. You're not certain if you actually fell asleep again after that, but you do know that you had been drawn to open your eyes once more when receiving dozens of feather-light kisses to your cheeks and collarbone.

Those initial months of marriage had been your favorite (not that you haven't enjoyed the last two years in all). Link remained home back then, deciding to put his adventuring on a short pause while he soaked up undisturbed time alongside his new wife be at the house or out around the village.

Although not much for public displays of affection, he's never found issue in letting you hang onto his arm during walks to the market, but his face still scorches in red whenever someone comments on how perfect the two of you look together. You always thank them with a giggle as Link ducks away in embarrassment, but make no mistake, there's a smile on his lips the whole time; you two do look perfect together, don't you?

At home is where Link feels most comfortable expressing his love for you. If you want to do a little afternoon reading, you're sat upon his lap where he can pretend to read over your shoulder just for an excuse to steal kisses here and there. If the garden needs work, he's sneaking flowers behind your ear or weaving you a full (but very messy) dandelion crown. It's only in the blacksmith that you have to shoo him away because as much as you enjoy his warm embrace behind you, you have lots of work to get done and can't spare time for his distractions.

Despite lots of physical therapy and all of your hopes, Hiroto's arm continues to make his previous work difficult for him, thus responsibility over the blacksmith has largely fallen into your hands, not that you mind. It's as if your positions have switched actually, your father now being the one to complete order forms and other small tasks while you hammer away at iron in the background.

While he has expressed guilt especially in those leading weeks, Hiroto still shines with pride seeing how gifted his daughter has become in the art form, a success he had always secretly hoped for because who wouldn't be happy to see their child follow in their footsteps?

Seeing that you're often busy in the blacksmith during weekdays (and would never dare let Link help since that would be a disaster for everyone involved), your husband wanted to help elsewhere which unfortunately meant cooking. Needless to say, it didn't take long for the entire household to become aware of his terrible kitchen skills, not that it was ever a secret to himself. While Hiroto couldn't judge and maintained a straight face, you were less successful with your lies. The tiny tears that pricked in the corners of your eyes were all too clear to the men of the house.

Not wanting to torture you any further or risk accidently poisoning his wife after only a month into marriage, Link became determined to actually learn how to cook - a goal he needed your help with, of course. The two of you spent several evenings in the kitchen together, slaving over books and a messy counter as you taught Link the basics.