𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫.

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈

1st of September, 1974. Fourth year.

As Alannah and Kasie ran onto platform 9 ¾, the familiar rush of excitement and nerves washed over the two girls. They were no strangers to the Hogwarts Express or Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for that matter, but the anticipation for the school year to come was still as exhilarating as 1st year.

Alannah Bones, commonly referred to as Lani ever since Sirius had nicknamed her such back in 1st year, was a Gryffindor student renowned for her smarts and was loved among her classmates and Professors alike. She had 3 siblings, Edgar, Amelia and Owen. Her best friend, Kasie Cullen, was also a Gryffindor Hogwarts student, who had been friends with her from the very first day of 1st year. They shared every class together and smiled knowingly to each other each time their names were called together in the roll. Both girls were pure-blood, making them known and respected amongst other Wizards and their families, yet their status and wealth meant nothing to them, as they rather focused their time on other issues.

They both chugged their luggage through the busy platform, passing through the many families and students who were hugging and waving goodbye as they parted ways once again. The smell of early autumn filled the air, along with coal and smoke. Alannah and Kasie looked around in the hopes of spotting a familiar face amongst the sea of people, when their eyes landed on Lily Evans. Lily's pale face which was spotted with freckles and blush, smiled warmly to them, making her subtle dimples appear. The three girls embraced, smiling into each other as the world moved around them for a moment.

"I've missed you so much Lil's, how have you been?!" Lani asked her friend as she inhaled the smell of honey which lingered from Lily's perfume.

"Lani I saw a week ago, you need to stop being so dramatic." Lily laughed.

This was true, in fact Lily, Kasie, Lani and Marlene McKinnon had caught up only five days ago to go shopping in Diagon Alley for some last minute supplies for school. The dynamic was more so Lily and Lani bustling through the alleyways to ensure that everything they needed was bought and accounted for, while Kasie and Marlene chatted and dragged their heels behind them. Marlene and Kasie were very alike in that they were quite carefree and weren't exactly the most organised people. Lani was in the middle ground, always got things done but was one to procrastinate and would rather sit around and do work that wasn't assigned to her rather than the work that was. Lily was the most organised and punctual person any of the girls had ever met. Not a hair out of place, or a book missing under Lily's watch, and she ensured that she was always at the top of everything. Lily on the summer holidays was a different person completely, but when it came to school she was truly the most organised girl around.

The three girls stacked their luggage, and jumped on board the grand Hogwarts express which was threatening to leave at any minute. As they entered the carriage, they began to look around for Marlene and the boys, who had named themselves as the 'Marauders'. The group consisted of James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. The four of them were the most renowned trouble makers of the entire school, with the leaders being Siruis and James. The girls constantly poked fun at the boys for being so incredibly dorky and giving a name for their friendship group, but deep down they thought it was the cutest thing they had ever heard. Lani had always had a crush on James; he was smart, funny, handsome, and an absolute flirt even at the age of 11. The problem is however, James had been lusting for none other than Lily Evans since what felt for the beginning of time. Though Lani never showed it, the tinge of jealousy she always felt was present, with the wish it could be her he was crushing on. Lily showed no interest in him anyways, leaving Lani to always wonder why he never seemed to be interested in her. She kept this to herself of course, and never even shared it with her best friends, though they all had their suspicions.

"Oi! Evans!" boomed the voice of James Potter through the train carriage, sitting with his poise and Marlene. The girls whipped around and made their way over. They all awkwardly hugged the four boys, with the exception of Lily who had too much pride to hug any of them except for Remus. Kasie took a seat next to Marlene and Sirius, she had a thing for Sirius, and a platonic relationship with Marlene even though they occasionally flirted. Lily and Lani took a seat next to each other and Remus, since they were closest to him. The group spilled out onto two booths, but the kids didn't mind as they chatted and laughed as the train pulled away. None of them turned back to wave goodbye to their families, lost in the conversation and banter between them all.

Hours in, James and Sirius stood up to go look for the trolley lady, with the excuse that their pockets were too heavy with coins. Lily rolled her eyes while the others laughed to themselves.

"Did you go away Lani?" Peter asked from the small corner he had been shoved to. It wasn't that he was the black sheep of the friendship group, but when the girls were around he didn't know what to say or how to react unlike whenever he was with just the Marauder boys.

"Marlene and I went down to the country with our parents near the start of the holidays, but mostly just sat at home for the rest of the time." Lani answered. The McKinnon and Bones family had been friends for years, and often travelled together in the summer breaks. Marlene was half-blood, but Lani's family cared little for blood status believing it to be a ridiculous social construct which pure-bloods had created to gain more power.

"What about you Kasie? Get away anywhere?" Peter questioned nervously. Peter had the world's worst social skills when it came to girls, and shocked the group with how much he had said to them.

"I went back to Ireland for a month, saw the family, lay in the fields. I already miss it, it's agonising having to leave everyone and everything again." Kasie replied. She was originally from Ireland, and had moved to England when she was 10 in anticipation of starting Hogwarts. Her parents also attended Hogwarts and had been planning for her years there since the day she was born.

James and Sirius arrived back into the carriage shortly after with handfuls of sweets cradled in their arms. The group raided their hands, searching for their favourite chocolate or lolly. As they began to delve into their treats, the Gryffindor head boy came around to remind them to get changed into their uniform as they would be arriving at Hogwarts Station promptly.

They all stood, grabbing the bags with their robes and shirts, making their way to the small changing rooms to get changed.

"Potter will you be joining Evan's in the change room?" Sirius taunted, gaining a whistle from Peter while Remus shook his head disapprovingly.

"He most certainly will not, Kasie can you please monitor him?" Lily argued back. Lily couldn't stand James, and the thought of him seeing her getting changed made her feel like she might genuinely be sick. There was something about him that irked her beyond belief, much to the amusement of her friends as they watched the two banter. Kasie stood in front of the small space, with only a curtain to cover Lily, ensuring James' wouldn't barge in.

As the train pulled up, the friends grabbed their luggage and made their way out of the train, stepping out to the fresh spring day. They were escorted off the platform and into the small boats, making their way slowly but surely towards the grand castle. Though it was nothing new to the Marauders and friends, the grand scale and beauty of the school never failed to take their breath away. The 4th Year students looked up in awe, watching all the 1st years absorb it for the first time. They set down their luggage, ready for it to be magically taken to their dorm rooms.

They were escorted by Professor Minerva McGonagall to the Great Hall, where they were all seated in anticipation for the 1st years to come in and for the feast to begin. They sat down next to Mary MacDonald, a fellow friend who they hadn't met on the train. Mary was away for the entire holidays which left lots of news to share with the other girls. As the 1st years entered, and the chatter amongst students quieted down, Albus Dumbledore stood from his seat to welcome the new students.

"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden from all students. I would also like to announce that a new student will be joining the fourth year group, James."

(1564 words)