𝐛𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐲.

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈𝐈𝐈

"Bucky? Oh...I thought Dumbledore said James at Dinner?"

"Oh yeah, my middle name is Buchanan so my friends from Brooklyn call me Bucky. And you're Lani or Alannah?"

"Alannah but everyone calls me Lani." Lani stared at the boys piercing blue eyes, flickering in the hot fire. Bucky was tapping the quill against the paper, leaving small ink splats on the notebook.

"What's the school like? I'm writing to my best friend back home in Brooklyn and he wants to know what the classes and people are like." Bucky asked while staring at his paper, observing the ink spots which have now appeared.

"Hogwarts is great, I consider it more of a home then where my mother and father live. My best friends make everything better, I'll introduce you to them if you like?" Lani found herself speaking with ease to the new acquaintance, even though she had only spoken to him for a few moments. Her heart fluttered every time he made eye contact with her, and her palms had only become more sweaty from the heat radiating off the crackling fire in front of them. The Gryffindor Common rooms were always warm, and the warm light bounced off the walls, illuminating the entire room.

The pair sat and talked for a few minutes, Lani stuttering every now and then from nerves, while Bucky's tone and attitude hardly swayed. He told her very basic things about him, in fairness, they had only met minutes ago and anything beyond surface level chatter would be too personal. As the time slipped away, the door to the common room abruptly swung open to reveal McGonagall.

"Barnes, Cullen, to your dorm room immediately. Barnes I understand you aren't familiar with school policies as of yet, but Cullen I expected more from you." McGonaghall said with her voice only slightly quivering.

"Sorry Minnie, but I don't believe you expected anything more from me." Lani said, smiling innocently while rushing off to her dorm, which earned a tight, concealed smile from McGonagall. James had given her the nickname Minnie years ago, and the group were the only ones she allowed to call her such.

The two students disappeared into their dorm rooms, leaving Lani with a rush of adrenaline and began to gush to her friends who had been pushing her for details. They had run back into the dorm room after Bucky almost caught them giggling, meaning they heard none of the other discussion. After Lani filled them in on some of their conversation, Lily and Mary headed back to their own room, while Marlene, Kasie and Lani jumped into bed. Lani replayed their short lived conversation in her head over and over, her heart fluttering when thinking about him looking at her. She slipped into a deep sleep, inhaling the familiar scent of linen from her bed. 

(487 words)

authors note:

hey! i know this one is short but oh well. hope you enjoyed this anyways:)