1○ Unlucky

V E R Y A N

I'm a fucking idiot.

I had nowhere to go, but here I am, running away like I always do. The night was cold and unwelcoming . My eyes hadn't adjusted to the darkness yet. I was running blindly, focusing on the sound of paws bouncing off the trees. They were close, catching up to me quicker than I anticipated.

I ran faster. If they caught me I'd be dead. Torrez would just rip my neck out right here right now. Hell, I'd probably deserve it. But contrary to popular belief, I do not want to die. I just happen to get myself into very grave situations in which you'd deem me suicidal. Like right now. How did I get here? Even I don't know. I was at a baby shower, then I was naked, and before I knew it I was running. Running away from it all. I probably shouldn't touch alcohol again.

My eyes blurred into a haze of faint shapes. What a curse these eyes were. The sounds of paws on the wet forest floor became louder and quicker. If I ran any faster I'll probably give myself a concussion by bashing my head into a tree. I was somehow lucky enough to be far ahead of them, but my luck tends to quickly run out.

A loud growl erupted from behind me. I'd assume that'd be Torrez. My alpha. Correction, my ex-alpha. He's not one for second chances. Or third chances. Or, I've lost count of how many times I've pissed him off, chances. I can't go back. I don't belong there. I don't belong anywhere.

My eyes finally adjusted to the night and a silver coated forest splayed out before me. A full moon was said to bring luck. The moon goddess's blessing. Though they were never showered upon me. I urged myself to run faster, ignoring the burning pain in my legs. I lost track of time, running until the sounds of paws and rabid growling ceased. 

A tense stillness stretched above me. The air brought a sense of unease, unfamiliarity. I had wandered into unknown territory.

I guarded myself, stalking through the trees, careful not to make a sound. I can't turn back now, or ever. I'd die for sure. And death is a mercy I don't think I deserve.

Eyes were watching me. I sensed them, hidden behind the moonlight, ready to pounce. I backed myself into a corner. I managed to free myself only to be caught again. I'm trapped. All alone. It can't get any worse than this.

A shadow covered me. It became dark once again, not even the moonlight wanted to stay. 

"Shift," a voice said from above me. I hesitated, before shifting back into my human form, my eyesight returning to it's hazy state. 

"Get up and come with us," they said again. I tried my best to stand but I fell to the ground, my knees refusing to hold my weight.

The person sighed and walked away, leaving me slouched in the dirt. Then I smelt it. Something familiar. So strongly familiar. Books and moss and rain and new car smell. I locked it in the back of my mind. I refused to remember. But how could I ever forget?

A shadow consumed me once again, drowning me in darkness. He loomed over me. All I saw was a blurry mass, but I knew it was him. Landon. The most abhorrent asshole I've ever had a chance of meeting. 

His hands stroked my hair. It had gotten longer since I'd last seen him, since he last left me. My skin burning when he touched me. An intimate feeling pooling in my stomach. 

 He threw his jacket onto me and lifted me up over his shoulders as if I were a sack of dirty laundry. I would've told him off if I had any fight left in me but instead I fell asleep, slung over my mate's shoulder, listening to his heavy footsteps in the mud and letting the blood rush to my head. 

Landon Arriens. The formidable alpha. My worst enemy. My mate. Just my luck.