24○ What A Pair

L A N D O N

"I fear history may repeat itself Landon," Xavier says to me. He looks me directly in the eyes and despite not knowing this history to which he refers, I begin to fear too. 

I cannot bear. Being in my father's room coupled with Xavier's foreboding energies, all I want is... To go back to last night. 

Xavier seems to sense my uncertainty, "Listen Kid, you're the Alpha of one of the most formidable packs, act like it."

Not that I ever wanted it to be this way.

"Landon," Xavier continued, "I know that all this happened too quick, but think about your father; your mother." My heart stops once she is mentioned.

"Think about their legacy," he squeezed my shoulder, "Your legacy. Do not let it be taken away from you. There are people after your throne Landon."

From the look in Xavier's eye I was uncertain as to whether if he was the one after it.

Before I could respond, Xavier started again.

"Right now the Council is on the verge of collapse. Those imbeciles can't do shit! Problem after problem," He spat, "There's a small human infestation in the woods. I don't know even want to know what those pests are up to. So any human you see, kill it, for good measure."

My mind falls upon the very alive, very human, girl Nicoletta has loose on the compound. I now regret the leeway I gave my beta and my ability to be swayed by her determination.

"Did you not want to interrogate one?" I asked, this could aid uncovering my own discoveries if this girl is associated to this matter.

"No. Ignorance is bliss kid. Kill them all." 

I felt the most ignorant yet not blissful at all.

"That's the trick Landon, prevention rather than treatment. It's better to kill before things get bad.. so bad that there's absolutely nothing that can be done..."

His disquieting aura coupled with the unnerving sounds of my father's ventilator prodded me to escape. I could only handle so much in the early hours of the morning.

"I will make sure to do that," I said, "Is there anything else?"

"Just answer our goddamn calls.. and play your part well Landon."

My part. And what part is that? A puppet on strings.

Xavier gave my father one last glance. He may not be one of the more morally righteous alphas or even a moral man in general, but Xavier did more for my family than our father ever did, which made me more inclined to him. 

He even took in my stormy petrel of a brother after everything that happened. I always wondered if Xavier managed to tame Tate at all, but he was no longer my responsibility and so I will never ask. 

Even if I was a puppet, I had no desire to move on my own, I would take what was given to me, so long as I receive what I deserve at the end of it all. However, I worry that it may not be Xavier pulling the strings.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

The sun had not yet the chance to fully break into the sky and I had a multitude of problems in my hands already.

There were three too many people in my house at this time. Xavier and his sons just refused to take their antics elsewhere and Nicoletta had mind linked me to say that the whereabouts of her human pet was unknown.

I looked to Veryan cackling along with tweedle dee and tweedle dum in the living room. I was sure the veins of my forehead snapped with every laugh and seemingly gentle exchange between Veryan and those two hyenas.

Watching them made me aware of this grinding feeling in my chest, isolating me, pushing me back from the little steps I took towards him last night. Could I ever make him laugh like that?

I caught myself. Last night must have lingered too heavily on my mind, clouding my thoughts with foolish things once again. How impolitic it was to let the mere sight of Veryan lead me astray. So astray that I did not manage to spot the human girl wandering through the halls near the living room; more importantly, near Xavier.

"Oh shit!" Veryan shot up from his seat, "Did you tell Xavier about the spear?"

"The spear?" I questioned, confused by his outburst.

"Yes Landon," He gritted out, angling and craning his body awkwardly, "The spear from the rogue pack. Like seriously who uses spears in this day and age?"

"Rogues?" Xavier turned towards me, colour draining from his eyes, "What rogues? When did this happen? Why didn't you tell me about this?"

"I was going to send the report to you this morning," I responded, looking in the direction of Veryan's body to see the human girl flutter by. 

"About a week or so ago," I continue to keep Xavier's attention on me, "There was a rogue attack. It was quite unexpected as there have not been any sightings in other territories either."

Xavier's seemed to be worryingly lost in his thoughts; shifting on his feet. I could hear the change in his breathing. 

"I have to leave. Right now," Xavier said and although I had wanted him to, his sudden need to leave disconcerted me. 

He rushed through the halls towards the door, his sons on his heels and the human far gone already, but I did not think he's pay her any mind in his current state.

"And Landon," He held my eyes, then looked to Veryan for a little too long. Something seemed to click in that sly brain of his and he gritted out a bitter laugh, "...What a pair you two make."

With those perturbing last words, he took his leave, leaving me with more worries. I wanted to crawl in a corner and rest but no amount of sleep could compensate for the aching tiredness that dragged me down.

Veryan looked at me and sighed, pushing his glasses up and leaning his head on my arm, "He's such a damned weirdo."

I was set ablaze with his gesture. His hair brushed over my skin and the soothing feeling pushed my worries down, even if it was just for a little. Maybe there were some advantages to having a mate. Or maybe this was an advantage to having Veryan.

"Thank you," I said.

"Hmm? For what?"

"Distracting Xavier, so he wouldn't see the human."

"Oh that," He lifted his head but his feeling lingered on me, "Yeah, Xavier doesn't like humans. Something about his cousin or whatever. He would've killed her and Nico probably would've been heartbroken."

"Well now Nico is going to learn not to let that thing off a leash," I sighed.

"You should learn to be nicer and more lenient Landon. That's why none of your pack members like you much."

I scoffed, "How ironic coming from you Veryan. Why don't you run the pack then."

"I bet I will one day." I would give it to you if you asked. It would be a blessing to relinquish my 'duty', even if it was to him.

"Maybe," I said, he has the qualities of an alpha, the bad more so than the good, "Before that you should take a shower first don't you think?"

"Are you saying I stink?! You're the one who stinks!"

I sighed, "You're being so stupidly childish Veryan."

"No! You're just terribly annoying." I rolled my eyes, so hard I thought they would have rolled out and escaped far away from here.

"Did you just roll your eyes at me? Like a brat."

"I'm not a brat, you're the brat!"

He laughed and my heart stuttered in its pattern. I felt my face flush at the sound. 

"Well if you say so Landon," He continued to laugh and my eyes followed him as he walked away, hand covering his smiling face.

I sighed in annoyance. I have never sighed this much in my life until he came into it. I let him rile me up. But I made him laugh and that sweet sound recouped me for all breath I had wasted.

What a pair we made indeed.