14○ What a pain in my ass

V E R Y A N

In a few tedious days, my wound had healed and rather than having pain in my ass, I was restored to my former glory of being the biggest pain in the ass, according to Landon, Nicoletta and the ninny Castiel.

My time spent cooped up in Landon's room like a pup near death felt like imprisonment and now I did everything to get far away from it.

"Hey fuckers," I strode down into the rickety living room. A wave of twisted faces, rolling of eyes and sighs greeted me.

"I liked it better when you couldn't walk," Castiel responded, stacking paper on a table on the brink of collapse.

"And I liked it better when I didn't know you existed, you ninny," I retorted, watching the scowl grow on his face and his fists clench.

"Castiel, control yourself and Veryan, stop being provocative," Landon commanded, not even sparing us a glance and continuing to read through a thick book.

"It's just my nature asshole," I sat next to Nicoletta who snickered and scrambled through papers. Landon glared at me and I was glad to be met with anger than tedium.

Still scruffy, messed up brown hair and sleepless eyes, was Landon in all his eminence, scowling at me as he brushed off the papers beneath him.

His shift from vapidity to a spark of emotion excited something in me, not only the constant boner, but something else.

Rising from the chair, Landon ordered his two minions to 'take care of the things' and dragged me by the neck out of his dreary living room.

"Ow you terrible shit, if I was confident in my strength I would've killed you by now," I cursed, scratching at his hand as he lugged me out the door.

"Veryan, stop acting like a child and listen to me," I pouted, and rolled my eyes not very eager to listen to anything Landon ever has to say, "Besides the rouge issue, as you know we have, there is also a hunter issue we have to deal with. So, I've decided to lock you in my dungeon."

"How did you come to that conclusion you nimrod?!" I clawed against his arm, hoping to free myself from this madman's grasp. I would not spend anymore days chained in a dusty space rotting away like Landon wanted.

"I don't want you to get hurt and I don't want to get hurt trying to save you so the best option is to lock you up," I struggled more against his hold. It was hilarious the way he said he'd lock me away to protect me.

He tightened his grip around my neck making my efforts of escape vain but my body was invigorated with the feel of his hand around me.

I could feel it. His hands on my neck. His tongue down my throat. His body on mine, belonging to me. This big and bad and so-called ruthless alpha in such a heat he gives himself to me and repents on his knees as if I am his only god.

Was this our mate bond or my own fantasy? I had dreamt this dream before, but the alpha who was laying beneath me wasn't Landon.

I pushed the thoughts inside me, deep into memories that I hoped to never unseal and locked it away with my wolf who clawed against my conscience as if it were tangible. What a pain in my ass this was.

"Let me go asshole. I can take care of myself. I don't need you to save me. I don't need you to lock me in a dungeon. I don't need you." He released me and the thoughts of him in tempestuous positions vanished and left me with present Landon, a shell filled with everything I abhorred.

"If I let you wander out of my territory, you'll be feasted on by rogues, captured by hunters or killed by the many people you've enraged in your life. There is no place for you to go Veryan. There is only here and there is only me. Be grateful that I care this much."

At this point, scowls were stuck on our faces, molding itself into permanent features. The idiot was right. There was no place but here and no one but him. I was trapped. What an unlucky bastard I am.

But hell would have to break loose before I allowed myself be cornered by Landon, before I allowed myself to think he'd do anything for my sake.

I pulled him by the collar towards my face, so close I could recount each of his freckles and name the specks of gold in his eyes, "So you finally care about your mate, huh?"

"Veryan," he sighed, "I just don't want you to die."

Maybe it was because his pretty face was so close to mine; his lips a breath away. Maybe it was because I've never heard those words said to me, always the opposite, always someone yelling at me to kill myself or that they'd do it for me themselves. But I could've melted into his hands for him to have me.

"...Why don't you want me to die?"

He scoffed, "Because if you die, I'll die."

Was this sentiment? Was this emotion, oozing out of this solid man? Was this truth?

"What do you mean you'll die?" I pressed, hoping for more of him to thaw.

"...Since we're mates, even if we haven't marked each other, if you die, there's a high probability that I too will die."

I pushed him to the ground, the floor creaking beneath us. What had I expected him to say? He'll be so overcome with sorrow that he'll drop dead on the spot as I take my last breath?

Yes, I expected that.

I pinned his limbs to the floor, my scowl deepening. He didn't struggle, just laid there beneath me stunned at the development.

"You're terribly terrible Landon and I really do fucking hate you."

"And you're so stupidly stupid Veryan I wondered how you had survived without me."

I laughed. Did he think I needed him to live? Did he think he was my purpose? I'd kill him and survive for spite. I'd dance extravagantly on top of his grave. I'd live over and over again just to hate him. This man beneath, who stared with such vehemence in this moment.

I'd live just to forget him.