vii | unfortunately, good things don't last forever.

Well.

I am scared for life. Actually, I am scared for much longer than life. I am scared for the next three lifetimes.

It's been two weeks since moving in with the Prestons and our lives have become somewhat normal. So far, I have managed to keep Celina and Indie in the dark about my living condition. They seem content with me telling them we're living with my grandparents. For now. I don't like lying to my friends.

I try to avoid Warren as much as I can, but when I live across the hall from him, it is definitely hard to avoid contact and conversation with him.

Which brings me to the horror that happened this morning while getting ready for school. Everything was normal as I got up, got my uniform ready, and gathered it up to go into the bathroom to take a shower. Without thinking, I open the door, it being unlocked, and walk right into the bathroom.

But I don't just walk into an empty bathroom, oh no, my luck isn't that good. I walk right into something solid. And alive. And damp.

Oh. Dear. God.

It's Warren, who must've forgotten to lock the door when he went in for a shower. And my stupid, stupid brain forgot that I live with two teenaged boys whom I share a bathroom with rather than living by myself with my own bathroom.

Thank Goodness that he is wearing a towel around his hips. But he's still half naked.

We stare at each other for a moment, horror on my face and surprise on his. Then a smirk pops up.

"You know, little bug, if you wanted to see me naked, all you'd have to do is knock on my door."

I hate you!

My face heats up so red I can feel the warmth, "I- that... that is n-not... I don't..."

What has he done to me?! I'm a stuttering, red mess!

"What's the matter, cat got your tongue?"

It's like something snaps inside of me. I straighten, poke my finger in his chest, and hiss, "I'd appreciate it if you'd lock the door from now on, sweetheart."

He snorts, and I gesture to the door, "Now get out, please, so I can take a shower."

"I think I'll stay."

"Warren. Out." I'm starting to get angry. It seems like every conversation we have ends in me being angry. He's just so... infuriating!

He puts his hands up, "Fine, fine, I'll get my sneak peak later anyways."

Grrrrr!

I double check the lock on the door and fuming, step into a steaming hot shower.

I don't understand what his deal is. He's cold and cruel and arrogant, and yet both John and Charlotte are such nice, loving people. Sawyer is a snot and brat, but he's twelve, so I don't hold it against him. Why is it that Warren is the only one who has a problem with me being here?

Once I'm done in the bathroom, I wisely dress before leaving, brushing out my wet hair as I leave. It's a small thing, but I pride myself on my hair. It's thick, shiny and soft, and has a beautiful wave to it.

It looks like Mom's and makes me feel connected to her. It's one of the few things I shared with her, besides the violin.

"Boo!"

I shriek, caught off guard, and then immediately start beating Sawyer with my brush.

"You little punk! I'll get you for that!" I yell at him, banishing my brush like a sword as he cackles with laughter and dashes away from me.