xiii | calming down and homework help.

Dad immediately starts chewing me out the moment we get into our car after the valet drives it up.

"I want your side of the story, Cassie." He says, buckling up, "The full story."

I sigh. I hate when he says my name like that. It makes me feel like I'm in trouble, which I guess I am.

I tell him the story. What Rachel said to me, what I said to her, how I ran from the table, how Warren followed after me. I don't tell him about our conversation in the closet, it's too bizarre, too intimate for me to share. I just tell him we sat in silence until the maid opened the door.

Dad nods, "Thank you for telling me." Neither of us say anything for a bit.

"Mom would be proud."

My mouth falls open, "W-what?"

Dad smiles, "Standing up for yourself. Not that I'm saying it was right of either of you. But..." he chuckles, "You have the same fierceness."

I swallow past the lump in my throat. Dad isn't one to dwell on the sentimental, compliments are pretty rare of him. A little ping of longing echos around my chest. I feel homesick for what we used to have as a little family. How loving and supportive Mom had been of me.

"Thanks, Daddy." I mumble, my voice a little strained.

He grabs my hand and squeezes.

"No more locked closets with boys, young lady."

"Dad!"

He wags his finger at me, "Just because I'm your dad doesn't mean I'm blind, Bug. And I'm not stupid either. I see how you look at Warren, you know."

My face is as red as the stop light we're at, "Dad! Please, I don't like Warren. Ew."

He gives me a smug smirk like he knows I'm lying, "Sure. Anyways, you hungry?"

I nod, I'm totally starving, and turn to look out the window.

What are my feelings? Far too complicated, I can say that. I still feel weird after talking to Warren about my mom. I don't normally open up like that to people. And I saw a whole different side of him in that closet. It was strange.

I repetitively bang my forehead against the cool window. Why does everything have to be so complicated?!

"Bug?" Dad sounds worried and I remember I'm still in the car with him.

I give him an apologetic smile, "Yes, sorry, all good."

He doesn't look like he believes me, but he doesn't say anything else. We pull into the McDonald's drive-thru. After we get our food, which I immediately start devouring, Dad eats his burger as we drive home.

The Prestons are already home by the time we pull into the driveway. I'm reluctant to go inside, content to stay in my safe bubble of fries and Dad's smile.

Unfortunately, good things don't last forever. Dad heads inside with me behind him, cradling my fries like a protective mother. Charlotte is the only one in the kitchen as we come inside. Buttercup comes bounding up to me, tail wagging hard and tongue out.

I have her sit for me, then give her one of my fries. She is such a good puppy.

"There you two are." Charlotte says, smiling, "Look, I'm sorry about... all of that. Thank you for coming to the brunch."

"Did John get the contract?" Dad asks.

Charlotte sighs, "We're not sure yet. John will hear back from Thomas tomorrow."