xvi | everything aways starts out well.

When I show Celina and Indie my dress, they both fawn over it and tell me how pretty I'll look in it.

For once I my life, I'm excited to be going to a dance. My friends are just as excited. Both Indie and Celina have already gotten their dresses.

They try to convince me to come over to the Preston's house to get ready the day of the dance, but I quickly shoot that down. No way do I want my friends over while Warren is there. Besides, I know he's not going to the dance so he'll only make fun of us if I know anything about him.

As the dance gets closer, I barely see Warren anymore. He's busy with swim practice and I have this weird feeling that he's avoiding both me and his family. I can tell it worries Charlotte. She tries to talk to him when he leaves in the morning and when he comes home, but Warren just waves her off and goes to his room.

I don't know why he's so distant. I mean, I get why he won't talk to me, I don't mind if he never talks to me again, but he shouldn't be brushing off Charlotte like that.

The night before the dance, someone knocks on my door as I'm in the middle of revising my English essay. I look up as I tell them to enter.

It's Warren.

He stays in the doorway, leaning against it with his arms crossed. I stare at him. He's wearing sweatpants and a shirt with our swim team name on it. He doesn't say anything to me for a long moment, prompting me to say something first.

"Did... you need something, Warren?" I ask, chewing on the end of my pencil. I feel nervous for some reason.

He sighs, "You're still going with Ethan."

I roll my eyes, nervousness replaced with annoyance, "I really don't see how it's any of your business, Warren."

"I'm telling you it's not a good idea, Harper."

"And I'm telling you that you don't dictate my decisions." I snap back, "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't go with him."

He frowns, a scowl making his face darken, "Could you just trust me for once, Cassie?"

I jump up, "No, I can't. In fact, I've never trusted you, Warren. I don't understand why you're so insistent on this. Ethan is not a bad guy and he actually likes me, which is a rare thing for me." Maybe I'm getting a little too heated about this whole thing, but he's making me angry.

Leave it to a typical man to tell a woman what she can't and can do. I mean, come on people! This isn't the 18th century anymore, why does he think he can tell me what to do?

"Fine, whatever." He mutters, looking just as upset as I am, "Don't listen to me and see what happens. Good night." It sounds more like a threat rather than a genuine phase.

He turns and slams my door shut. I let out a frustrated groan and fall face first on my bed.

That's twice now he's told me not to go. What is up with him? Why is he being like this? Ugh! 

It's hard for me to sleep that night. I toss and turn, thinking about what Warren said and getting angry all over again.

Why does he think he can just tell me what to do and expect me to listen? We aren't friends. We aren't even close.

I wake up on Saturday not in the best of moods, but Charlotte quickly remedies the clouds with her bright, sunny smile and a plate of chocolate chip pancakes. We talk about the dance and how she'll help me do my hair and that she'll take pictures for me.

Warren doesn't say one word through breakfast, glowering at the world and obviously in a bad mood. I don't get what is with him.

The rest of the day passes slowly for me, as it always does when something exciting is happening late in the day. I do a lot of playing on my violin, then polish the final draft of my essay, and finally when I have nothing else to do, I start a new show to pass the time.

I start getting ready around 3:30 with a long, hot shower. I take my time, using the good shampoo and shaving my legs.

I already have my dress and shoes laying out in my room when I come back in wearing my robe. Charlotte appears almost as soon as I come back in, obviously ready to start on my hair. She has me sit at my vanity, talking my ear off as she brushes through my wet hair. I enjoy both the pampering and the talk.

She blow dries my hair, then starts to curl it. I've never curled my hair in my life, in fact, I've never really done anything with my hair before. Once my hair falls in soft curls around my shoulders, Charlotte starts on whatever hairstyle she wants to do.

She has two braided strands pulled back in a simple, pretty style that frames my face. She twists in little beads into the braids, adding a little sparkle to match my dress and shoes.

When she's finished, she asks me if I want her to help me do my makeup, but I refuse. I don't really intend to do a lot makeup wise.

Once my makeup is done, I'm finally ready to actually get dressed. Charlotte helps me lace up the back tightly, making sure it's secure. It feels weird to wear heels, but as Charlotte had told me, it completes the outfit.

Charlotte claps her hands together as I turn slowly for her to inspect my outfit.

"Oh Cassie, you are beautiful." She murmurs, eyes misty. I really don't want her to start crying because I know I'll start if she does.

She gives me a tight hug, then says, "Ready?" I nod with a smile.

Downstairs, Dad is waiting at the door. He looks up as I come down the stairs, a huge smile lighting up his face.

"You look beautiful, Bug." He says, leaning in to kiss my cheek when I come to stand next to him.

"Thank you, daddy." I return his kiss.

The doorbell rings, right on time, and I open it to Ethan waiting. He cleans up very nice. He's wearing a nice gray suit with a burgundy tie, holding a corsage box.

Dad pokes around the door, frowning at Ethan, "I want her home by eleven, young man."

"Dad!"

"No funny business."

"Dad." My face lights up red.

Ethan nods, "Yes, sir." He opens the corsage box and offers it to me, tying it on my wrist.

As we leave the house and head towards his car, I think about how quiet Warren had been the entire day. Not that I wanted him to see me all dressed up or anything. God knows he would make fun of me somehow.

I decide to put him out of my mind and just to enjoy the night.