Chapter 1: Damien - 298th First Day Of School

Chapter 1: Damien- 298th First Day Of School

I wonder why I was created. Did God want this? What was my purpose in life? I'd always wondered that. As humans achieve their reasons of creation, I stay here, unchanging.

Time goes by faster than how humans think. They think it's 10 more years until they can drive, 5 more years until college, then a family, and finally, death. But time is faster then them. They can't catch up.

To my kind, humans are like snails: going through life carelessly thinking that they are the smartest beings on Earth. But they are very wrong.

In a blink of an eye, a human can miss a lot of things. Just one moment in time could change their fate entirely. That's not true for Vampires. We have stayed here, and will continue to wander the Earth aimlessly while humans discover a divine purpose.

My age is lost in time. I don't even remember the last time I acknowledged my birthday. Decades, centuries, millenniums. We actually never died out.

We wait until our time on Earth has deteriorated then we can pass. Pass to what? We all wonder. None of us knows. To another life with a better future? I doubt that.

* * *

Everyday was the same.

But I guess today was different. Felicia was actually excited about going to school.

“Damien, have you seen Edward?” Felicia was always in high spirits but that never meant anything good, more like trouble.

“I don't know, did you leave him out on the terrace?” I yelled as I finished packing my backpack.

“Oh, I found him! He was waiting out in the hallway!”

Edward is Felicia's Teddy Bear. Well, scratch that, he's her familiar. He's not dead or alive. He's just existing. He can move and communicate but he can't leave her side. But we all know he wouldn't want to anyway. Edward is in love with her.

“Hurry, Edward! It's our first day of high school,” Felicia ran down the stairs, her books stuffed in her bag and Edward hanging onto her elbow. “Why do I always have to be the one to take care of you?”

“Why are you so excited? It's like our 298th first day of school,” I said as she slipped on her black flats.

She pulled her pale hand through my black, rough hair and zipped my sweater halfway. “School never gets boring! Now come on, it's pretty chilly outside.”

Sighing, I made my way into the garage.

It'll always be boring. I already know everything there is to know. I wonder why I had to go to high school... My teachers always wanted my to skip some grades anyway. I guess I only stayed because I knew that Felicia would be lonely without me.

Felicia opened the door and hopped into my silver convertible. And as I turned on the ignition, I whispered under my breath, it's like dying all over again...

* * *

The wind felt good on my face but I guess I was used to this breeze. I glanced at my side once we hit a red stop.

An elder woman driving a tinted blue van approaching the light. The young, elementary school girl hurrying down the street. A teenage boy jogging a few feet behind the child. The stop light turned green.

I could see it all before it actually happened. The horror about to unfold before my eyes.

You may think I'm a hero for doing what I did, but I just didn't want to see blood spilled before me, and I also felt pity for the victims.