Chapter 2: Akira- First Day

"Akira! Come on," yelled Yuki, my adopted older brother, in his low American-sounding accent. "I don't want to be late for our first day of freshman year!"

"Okay, okay, I'm coming!" I yelled.

I wobbled down the steps, pulling on my left black converse shoe.

"Oh, so a shoe took you that long to prepare?" he said, irritated. "We're going to be late."

"Don't worry Yuki, they'll cut us some slack," I said as we jumped into his black, shiny car. "it's the first day of school!"

"I hope they do," he whispered as he put the car in drive and we sped away.

So here's the deal:

I'm Akira, yes, I'm a boy, and I was born in Seoul, Korea but my parents are from Osaka, Japan. My parent fell in love in high school and they had me when Mom turned 21, and Dad, 24.

Once I turned 1 year old, Dad got a new job in America, so as not to be split apart, my whole family moved to New York City.

When we got there, we found Yuki, in a small adoption center. He was 2 years older than me but hadn't been registered in school yet. He was tall for his age and was from Tokyo, Japan. His parents had died in a car crash when he was only 7 months old.

We all immediately liked Yuki, he was cute, but not gushy, cool but not mean, and he was also a good playmate.

I admired him. He was always okay with whatever Mom planned for him, unlike me who started crying whenever I didn't get my way, he always gave me what I wanted, even when he wanted that exact same thing, and he was always there for me, whenever I got a scratch or an injury, he would be my shoulder to cry on.

When I became sick with the flu, he stayed by my side all those times I needed something or just wanted somebody to talk to.

After raising us until Yuki was 10 and I was 8, we moved from New York to L.A because of Dad's job switch.

Now Yuki's 16 and I'm 14. We're both freshmen in high school. We are close brothers and friends. We're both guys and we both live in the same house.

You might have figured it out already, but I forgot to mention, I'm gay.

And in love with my brother. My non-blood-related brother that I've known since I was a 1 year old.

* * *

“So did you talk to Mom about the problems with the car?” I asked Akira as we picked up speed.

“Yeah. She's gonna get it fixed this afternoon, after school,” Yuki said, facing the road. His sun-browned hair flew with the breeze of his open window. He couldn't see me staring at him, and I didn't want him to, either.

It was quiet. Really quiet. I leaned forward to turn on the radio.

“Stop calling, stop calling, I don't wanna think anymore! I left my head and my heart on the dance floor-” the radio boomed with music and I fumbled clumsily to turn down the volume.

“S-Sorry...” I said, breathless.

Yuki glanced at me and smiled. “You can always find a way to make anything funny.”

My heart thudded in my chest and I had to turn my head to the window for my blush to go unnoticed.

“Oh, I have to buy something at the store!” I yelled, suddenly remembering.

“Huh?” said Yuki, stopping the car on the curb.

“Yuki, just let me off here and I'll walk the rest of the way to school,” I opened the door and hopped out.

“Wait,” Yuki grabbed my sweater sleeve, “Are you sure? What is it that you need?”

“It's a secret. Just go on ahead because I might take some time. School is just a few blocks away,” I didn't want him to be late just because I needed to get something.

“Okay, but be careful and don't be late!” Yuki looked up at me, concerned.

“I know, I know, I'm not a child anymore,” I grabbed my backpack and began jogging down the sidewalk.

“Ah,” I sighed as I jogged up to the street, the cool air smelled fresh.

A blond-haired middle school kid skipped down the street cheerfully.

The heard the light turn green and the girl was still going towards the center of the street. A blue van was heading straight for her. And I knew what was going to happen if I didn't do anything.

“Move!” I yelled and ran to the street. Before the car could hit her fragile figure, I tackled her and shielded her body from the collision. But before I could see anything, I tripped over my foot and fell face-forward on the ground.

“Ack!” I winced and fell unconscious.

Light flooded my vision and the last thing I saw was glass chips on the black asphalt and the horror-stricken face of a cute little girl on the ground.