Chapter 3: Damien- I Sort Of Hate Hospitals :(

The sound of weeping and snuffling could easily be heard from outside the hospital room.

I sighed. Why was I even in this situation?

I opened the cold, white door to find a black-haired woman crying at her upset husband's side.

At the other end of the room, looking out the window with a melancholy expression stood a teenage boy that turned to look in my direction as I entered the depressing room. His tear-stained, pinkish face indicated that he had cried as well.

The victim on the bed looked around the other boy's age and looked like he was of the same nationality. He had wavy black hair, pale skin, and thin lips. His face was actually quite feminine, though. If he had much longer hair, he could pass for a girl. A thin bandage was wrapped around his forehead and his ankle was elevated on a pillow with ice. I couldn't help but think that without the bruises, he must have been a good-looking guy.

The room smelled like tears, bleach, and blood. Ugh.

As I walked towards the mourning couple, they looked my way and their faces turned from sorrow to gratification.

“Y-You're the one who saved him,” the older man whispered and I could feel everyone's eyes on me.

“No, I'm not a savior, it was just an accident,” I said calmly and sighed. At least I had an excuse not to go to school.

“All the same, our son was spared. I'm sorry that it was also at your expense,” the sobered woman said calmly. She eyed my fake arm sling then lowered her eyes to the ground. “We couldn't bear losing Akira.”

“So his name is Akira?” I said, acting interested for the sake of the woman's feelings.

“Yes, I thank God that he only ended up with a minor head concussion and an ankle sprain,” said the father, clearing his throat.

“That's good,” I said smiling.

“Oh, and what happened to that small girl he saved?” asked the boy from beside the window. His voice was low and quiet, as if he didn't want to wake up Akira.

“She's in the hall, crying,” I said sympathetically. “I suppose you're Akira's brother?”

“Yes, I'm Yuki,” he said, looking down at his sibling. He sighed, “I guess we should go talk to the little girl outside.”

“Of course, she's sitting beside my sister,” I watched as the three of them left the room silently, as to not awaken Akira.

“Ahh,” I whispered loudly and pulled my hand through my wind-blown hair. I was really tired.

I sat in the seat next to the bed and glanced back at the boy.

He was short...probably about 5'4. I analyzed his body structure and discovered that he was actually skinnier than he needed to be. As my eyes traveled from his toes to his neck, I found no marks other than bruises. Flawless skin.

I looked at his face and was surprised to find his eyes open. We stared at each other for about 8 seconds until the boy finally spoke.

“Who are you?” his voice was a bit deeper than I imagined but was very soft.

His eyes were chocolate brown and green-specked. I felt a strange magnetic attraction to the mysteries and secrets clouding his clear irises.

“I'm...Damien,” and I wanted to decipher those secrets.