Chapter 3

We all sang to the pastime "Have Gun, Will Travel" reading the card of a man! A knight without armor in a savage land! His fast gun-for-hire heeds the calling wind. A soldier of fortune, he's a man called Paladin!  Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam? Paladin, Paladin, far, far from Home."

Walking along the tracks we had gone to the point where we had no water.

"We can pass through the junkyard and there's a pipe in the back." Gordie said sipping his last drop.

"Not if Choppers there" Teddy said snickering.

"Hey, I'm kind of hungry, who's got the food?" Vern said.

"I got granola bars?" I said.

"Shit did anybody bring food?" Teddy looked at all of us. They all started arguing besides be and Gordie until they started swearing at each other and Gordie suggested  we counted money.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey! Let's see how much money we've got. Yeah. I got a   dollar two. Sixty-eight cents from Chris. Sixty cents from Teddy. Twenty bucks from Anne." They all kinds stared at me than Vern turned in his own money.  "Seven cents, Vern?" 

"I haven't found my pennies yet!" Hey spoke up.

"Train coming" Chris said as we all got up.

"Come on Teddy" Chris said

"No i'm gonna dodge it." He said smiling at the train

"Teddy.." I said looking at him. He looked at me then looked away.

Me and Chris ran on the tracks picking him up. He was squirming and cussing us out.

I knew Teddy was gonna go at Chris so I hugged him from behind causing his arms to go up so he wouldn't lash out at Chris. "I don't need a babysitter," He said, scowling at him. "Obviously you do" Me and Chris said.

We reached the junkyard and Vern and Teddy ran ahead. "Teddys Crazy," Gordie said.

"I bet he wont make it pass 20." I added on.

"Remember when you caught him in the tree." Gordie giggled. I hadn't remembered the last time he had laughed, it was adorable though.

"Yeah I dream about that sometimes. Except I never catch, I just get a few hairs and down he goes." He said, looking at his shoes.

"Yeah but Chris chambers never misses" I snickered.

"Not even when the ladies leave the seat down" He said, spitting through the hole he made with his fingers.

"Gross Chris." I said shaking my head.

"Wanna race" Chris asked

"Eh not thanks" Grodie said"

"Awh, right to the pipe Grodeo,"  I said.

"Eh... GO!"

"OH YOUR A DEAD MAN LACHANCE" We yelled after him.

I had them beat in a second, I was always a fast runner. We all sat down and the boys yattered on about Mickey mouse and Annette's tits.  I had already discovered boys though. I laid down on Chris's lap and my head on his thigh. I just closed my eyes and blocked them out.

"You know this is a real good time." Vern said.

I flipped around and looked at him and thought,"It actually is" I said.

"Hey we should probably get food,"

We all flipped a coin and it Gordie lost but I went with him for company.

"You lose, Gordie! Gordie loses! Oh Gordie just screw the food!" Teddy said laughing off

"Does the word "retarded" mean anything to you?" He looked at him like he was a dumbass.

"Gordie, go get the provisions you morphradite!" Teddy said, still laughing off.

"Don't call me any of your mother's pet names." Gordie was getting angry at this point.

"Alright enough the both of you." I spoke up.

" What a wet end you are, Lachance!" Teddy said.

"Teddy!" I said trying to end what's happening.

"Shut up Duchamp" He said his face was red with anger.

I don't shut up, I grow up. And when I look at you I throw up! Aeoo!" They all said mocking him.

"Then your mother goes around the corner and she licks it up." Gordie said in a cool manner.

"Ooooooo" They all said as they attacked each other.

We walked off hand in hand.

As we walked into the store to grab something to cook dinner. I started wondering around until I heard the shopkeeper. Asking Gordie some questions.

"Are you Danny Lachnaces Brother?" The store keeper said.

"Yeah." Gordie said quietly. I knew he was uncomfy.

"Shame what happened to him. The Bible says 'In the midst of life we are in death'. Did you know that? I lost a brother in Korea. You look like   your brother Denny. People ever tell you that?" He said. "Boy could he throw a ball," He added on.

"Do you play football," He said. I knew Gordie was thinking of Denny.

"No he doesn't, now could you please stop. He doesn't like talking about his brother," I stood behind him and glared at him. He seemed startled. I grabbed two packs of soda one for the morning and one for tonight and headed over to the counter as Gordie put the food on the counter top.

"Ten bucks," I gave him the twenty dollars I had. I quickly grabbed the change and stuffed it in my pocket and walked off having Gordie under my arm comforting him. "I'm sorry he talked about your brother," I said looking at him. He stayed quiet then hugged me. I could tell he was crying from the way his breathing was. "I know you miss him," He tightened his grip around my waste. I rubbed his head and took his hand and walked back to the boys.