Chapter 6

We got through the woods and got to a swamp.

"How are we gonna cross this?" Vern asked

"Use you as a raft," Teddy said.

"Funny. Told you guys to stick to the track," He said as Chris took a big stick and poked the water. "It's not that deep," He said

"Well alright," We all said as we stepped in before falling.

"Gross!" I shouted.

"I said stick to the tracks," Vern said

"Is it just me or are you the world's biggest pussy." Teddy said with a straight face towards vern

"I suppose this is fun for you?" Vern asked.

"No but this is," He said, pushing Vern underwater.

"Act you age Ted," I said.

" This is my age! I'm in the prime of my youth and I'll only be young once!" He said towards me.

"Yeah, but you're gonna be stupid for the rest of your life." I said.

Oh-oh, Smith you just signed your own death-warrant! You die, Smith!" He pushed me underwater. I was stronger than him and was able to push myself up. I saw Gordie walking out of the water.

"Hey, where're you think you're going, Lachance?" Chris said as we all swam towards him.

"Yeah, Lachance." Vern said

"Come on you guys." He said. We all tackled him to the ground.

"Sleepers Hold! Sleepers Hold!" We all shouted as we laid on top of him laughing.

"Vern, there's something on your neck!" Gordie shouted.

"Gee, right. I'm not falling for that one, Lachance." Vern said snickering

"No, there is vern." I paused. "LEACHES" I screamed. Tumbling off each other and throwing our shirts off. Ripping them off. Luckily I wore little jean shorts so I didn't need to take off my pants unlike the boys.

"Hey, Gordie-man there's some on your back!" Chris said, ripping them off his back

"Get them off me!" He screamed.

After we got them off I guess Gordie felt pain. He pulled his underwear away.

"Oh Chris. Oh shit, Chris. Oh shit, man." He was crying. He reached in and pulled out a leech on. His fingers were bloody. I turned away because I couldn't bear to see it. I guess whatever it was scared him cause the next second he was on the ground unconscious.

"Gordie, man, are you okay? Can you hear me? Gordie, are you there?" Chris said.

"Maybe he's dead." Vern suggested.

"He's not dead, Vern," I said, getting behind Gordie and kneeling down then putting Gordies head onto my lap.

"Hey, hey. Just cool you guys, he just fainted. Gordie." Chris said, shaking him.

"Maybe he made a bad mistake and looked at your face," Teddy said joking around once again.

"Cut it out," I said, slapping his arm.

"Shut up Teddy, Gordie?" Chris said, still trying to get to Gordie.

"Yeah?" Gordie finally awakened.

After they all got their clothes back on Gordie sat at the tree. I could tell he was pissed off. I tried to keep in company but didn't say anything in fear I would make him mad. I overheard Chris, Teddy, and Vern's conversation.

"Maybe we should take Gordie back," Chris suggested.

"Oh great, Chambers, now you're turning pussy too!" Teddy said, getting angry.

"What's your problem, Duchamp? He had a leech hanging from his balls, he fainted!" Chris was shouting now. Chris was different when he was angry. Scary and it even scared me. Last summer I had pushed Chris into the community pool and he got so mad he got out and lifted me up throwing me in. I didn't think he realized how strong he had been cause for the rest of that week I didn't touch and didn't say much to him.

"What are you, his mother?" Teddy said in a sassy tone.

"Eat shit!" Chris said, still heated.

"You eat shit!" Teddy yelled back. No one ever yelled at Chris. I could tell he was trying to calm himself.

"Hey, hey! I think Chris is right. Let's go back." Vern said.

"Oh haha! What a surprise, the king of the pussies wants to go back too!" Teddy said, still trying to impress someone.

"Stop calling me that!" Vern got angry.

"Well, pussy." Teddy said.

"Stop it." Vern was losing his temper.

"Pussy." Teddy said louder.

"Stop it" Vern was red now.

"Pussy, pussy, pussy." Teddy had some nerve because Vern looked like he was ready to attack him.

"You four-eyed psycho!" Vern shouted, before tackling Teddy to the ground and getting on top of him as he hit him. Chris tried pulling him off.

"Stop it. <louder> Stop it. STOP IT!! I'm not going back." Gordie was obviously done with the shit they were pulling so he got up and walked away. I knew that even if no one had followed him he would have still gone.

The boys took a couple of minutes to sort things out so me and Gordie walked in the woods. I grabbed his hand and stopped so he could stop. I guess it worked because he came back and looked at me. I don't know why but I did. I kissed him. He slid his hands around my waste. I loved when he did that. I heard footsteps coming back So we let go of each other and kept walking. The three boys caught up to us and we had a small conversation.