3

A few moments later we had arrived at the Grand Palace for the start of the winter fete. Genya had to leave us to attend to the Queen before she made her appearance. Heads were turned as we both entered the throne room arm in arm with our matching black keftas and gowns. We walked together through the crowd of people, walking towards Marie, Sergei, and Nadia the were talking across the room. 

We chat for a while once we reach them before I heard a voice from behind me calling my name. 

"You're Luna, right?" I turned around away from my friends to be met with a handsome boy around my age with brown golden hair that almost looked red in the bright light of the throne room. He was tall and had a muscular build and wore a blue and gold uniform that matched those of the kings guard. I recognized him from around the Grand Palace but could not place his name.  

"Yes, hi..." I felt embarrassed for not knowing the boys name but also confused how he had known me even though we have never spoken, "and you are..."

"Dima" 

"I'm sorry, but how do you know me? I don't think we've ever met." I asked him bluntly. I was almost positive I haven't ever spoken to him before and even though I was pretty well known by everyone, not a lot of people just walk up to me and strike up a conversation. Maybe it was because my brother was away somewhere preparing for the demonstration. 

"Oh, I uh- I used to be best friends with Nikolai" the sound of his name pinched at my insides but  I kept up a friendly smile. "We trained together a lot and he was always my sparring partner. My dad is one of the teachers so I got an in on the trainings."

I do start to remember him more now. Him and Nikolai were always very competitive and he would sometimes come for me to learn special Grisha fighting techniques so he would have the upper hand on him. 

"Right. I remember you now. He was so hellbent on beating you. I sometimes couldn't get him to stop talking about it."

"Thats funny, whenever I was with him he couldn't stop talking about you." I couldn't help but smile at my shoes at that comment but quickly recovered remembering no one was supposed to know about my feelings for the younger prince. "I know I'm not really supposed to know this, but he really cared about you. I was shocked when he left without saying anything. Especially to you." he wore a solemn look on his face as he leaned back to a normal distance. 

"I guess he never really cared about either of us" I said harshly. I was always so focused on my feelings and what he did to me without ever taking account for the other people that he just got up and left behind. A look of hurt flashed across Dima's face before I continued, " I guess I'll have to beat him up for the both of us if he ever comes back." 

Dima laughs as the lights in the room flicker on and off.

"That means it's showtime" I say with fake enthusiasm. I wave and turn to walk away. "See you later Dima"

~~~

The demonstration was boring as usual to me. The Grisha went order by order each showing off their talents. I was the finishing touch to the Tidemaker's performance as I took the water from the air and brought it together to form the first army's Eagle crest before dispersing the water to mist over the guests at the party. 

Alina improvised and sent slight amounts of light to run through the water to form mini rainbows through the room which was beautiful. I smiled at her to say 'nice one'. 

Right before the final performance, I saw Ivan go up to the Darkling and whisper something in his ear. He smiled and waved him off before starting their demonstration.