10: Parallels

"He spilled corn all over you at your dad's huge birthday feast?!" I laugh up at him as we wonder through the grounds of the Grand Palace. 

"Not just normal corn. Scolding hot creamed corn all over my new suit. I got second degree burns all over my lap."

"Now that's just malicious."

"I know! And I could get over the burns, but my beautiful blue pants were ruined. Never to be worn again."

"how tragic. How did you get him back?"

"Well, I didn't really." He looks up out over the tops of the trees. It was only a little after the sun had risen and the sky was still a little pink causing his blond hair and perfect skin to glow, " I was so furious I chased him for a while around the ballroom with a knife until my dad caught us and sent us both out of the party." We Both laugh at the memory.

"Maybe I can help you get him back properly."

"I doubt he would even remember what he did. It happened when I was eight."

"Well he probably did something annoying since then we could get him for. Your brother is the most annoying person I know."

"You're blowing me off for a girl I see" We both whip our heads around to see a boy with golden red hair approaching us. 

"Dima, what are you..." His face lights up in realization and his hand jumps to his mouth, "Dima, I'm so sorry I completely forgot." He turns to me, "This is Dima my combat training partner I talked about, we were suppose to meet this morning to practice."

I nod my head back at him and mouth an 'ohh' before he turns back to Dima and continues.

"Are you free later today? I don't want to just leave her."

"Not really, me and my dad—"

"You can go. I'll be fine, and if you made the plans with him first you shouldn't leave him hanging."

"Are you sure?" I nod at him, a little disappointed but I don't show it.

"You can come with if you want." Dima smiles towards me, "If you want to watch me kick his ass"

"Oh please, like you could beat me."

"If I remember correctly, you have yet to beat me in training, lover boy" 

I see Nikolai's ears turn a slight shade of pink at the nickname, "Well, maybe now I'll have some motivation" He turns to me and winks. 

~~~

I was seated on a rock a in a clearing in the back of the Grand Palace. I have never been back here before but I could assume it was where the guard did most of their training because there were racks of various weapons and targets laid around the area. It reminded me of  the place where we would train with Botkin over at the Little Palace.

Nikolai and Dima had both grabbed swords and were now facing each other swords raised towards one another. They slowly approach each other and begin to circle. Neither one of them taking their eye off the other. 

Whether it was a strategy or he was just trying to show off, Nikolai struck first. He swung high at Dima's left side but he was quick to block, causing their swords to clang loudly. He swung again quickly to the other side and Dima blocked once again. Their swards continued to dance together gracefully. Nikolai seemed to be on the offense, taking control of the fight, but Dima did not look phased. With all of Nikolai's efforts, Dima's moves seemed effortless and smooth.