4

The hall was loud with the sounds of chattering people and the band playing a quick paced song to dance to. I look to the boy across from me as we dance across the room together arm in arm. He was handsome with dark black hair that was just long enough to reach the start of his neck. 

I believe I remember him telling me his name was Alex. He was not the first boy I had danced with that night and by the looks of the stares I was getting through the colorfully decorated ballroom, he was not the last for the night. 

One gaze in particular I could feel extra heavy on the back of my head as Alex twirled me around the dance floor. I turned my head to meet those hazel eyes from across the room. His face was pinched. Jaw clenched and cheeks slightly flushed. His golden blond hair was set perfect in place matching his regal attire and confidant posture. 

I locked eyes with him for a few moments before turning back to Alex. We danced until the song ended and he bowed slightly, grabbing both of her hands in his and kissing them lightly.

"Happy birthday, moya soverennyi"

"Thank you." I nodded to him as he walked off. I felt the same eyes boring holes on the back of my head and I turned once more to meet them.

When I did his face lightened and his playful smirk came across his face as he dipped his head to the side signaling me to follow him out the room. 

Once I nodded back at him, he left the room expecting me to follow. 

"Luna, can I have your next dance?" Another boy asked from behind me. I only half turned to reject him, uninterested, before I walked out the doors of the ballroom to follow Nikolai.  

I walked out into the quiet hallway making sure to be extra aware of if anyone were to be following me. 

I walk outside of the Grand Palace out under the clear sky lit up only by the full moon and the millions of bright stars dangling from the heavens. The summer air was warm and a slow breeze crossed my cheeks. I breathed in the fresh air, happy to have finally been able to get away from the crowd. My eyes scan the lawn and I notice a figure heading up towards the lake a while away from the palace. I follow. 

When I cross over the top of the hill looking down to where the lake is, I see Nikolai seated on a baby blue and gold blanket that was laid out nicely on the grass. There were candles laid out and I noticed he had brought his guitar down. 

When he saw me he stood up and walked to me meeting me halfway from where I was standing to where his set up was. 

"What is all this-" He interrupted me with a kiss. Finally being able to bring me close to him after a full night of pretending to be able to tolerate the distance. When we broke apart he smiled down at me. 

"I couldn't stand watching you dance with them." He says, "I can't imagine they even came close to matching my exceptional dance moves."

"Well that last one was quite go-"

"Nope. Can't be true. Come on." He grabs my hand and drags me to the blanket and sits me down next to him. We just sit and talk, eating the snacks and drinking the kvas he brought over.  I kept on high alert as I always do to make sure no one is coming over to where we were and also making sure in the back of my mind I knew exactly where my brother was at all times. 

After a while of us just chatting, he pulls something out of his pocket and holds it out to me. 

"Happy birthday, Luna" In his hands is a small black box with gold lining the seam.