The Way I Loved You

Y/N's pov

My type has always been 'bad' girls. The ones that wear all black and act tough but are secretly softies inside. The ones that have good grades even though they never pay attention in class. The ones that have perfect smiles but rarely show it. The ones that annoy and pester you till you break but they do it because they like you.

At my school, that was Lauren Cimorelli. Of course there were others, but none of them stood out to me quite like she did. The mysterious hottie whose looks could kill. She sat in the back of the classroom and didn't talk to anyone. Her AirPods were always in, just so she could ignore everyone else. The first time I sat by her and she looked at me for a solid second before returning back to looking at her phone. That was our only "interaction" that day.

But now she's done with her emo phase, or whatever you might call it. She wears reds, blues, whites, browns, greens, everything. She smiles when something makes her happy. And now she's my girlfriend of almost 11 months. I broke down her walls and fixed her heart.

I remember the next time I sat by her, she looked at me again, but this time for a little longer. Two seconds, perhaps. But that day I wanted to hear her voice. So I asked her for help on the Chemistry worksheet we were doing.

"Hey, do you know how to do number 4?"

No reply.

"Uh, hello..?" I lightly tap her shoulder and her head snaps towards me but her arm flinches away. "Oh- sorry."

She takes out an AirPod, prompting for me to speak again. So that's why she couldn't hear me.

"Um, could you help me with number 4?"

She looks down at her paper. "26.3 grams."

"Oh, thanks! But uh, how did you-"

Lauren puts her AirPod back in before I could finish my next question. I sigh, not wanting to bother her any further but also wanting to hear her speak again. Her voice was pretty, even though it was practically monotone.

I decide that our short conversation will have to do for today, but I'll definitely try again.

The next day I made a little more progress. I waved at her because her AirPods were in, once again, and she nodded in response.

And the next week she stopped wearing her AirPods around me, knowing I was going to ask her something.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"What's your favorite color?"

"Black."

That made me laugh. "Second favorite color?"

"Dark gray."

Of course.

And the next month she stopped with her basic dry replies and started asking me things too.

"What'd you think of the chem test?" I asked.

"Eh, it was easy. What'd you think?"

"What?! That was literally the hardest chapter this whole year! I think I got a C."

"Oh. That's okay, you'll do better next time and I can help you if you want."

"You mean like a tutor?"

"No, like during the test."

"Isn't that cheating though?" I'm such a goody two shoes.