Beyond

After we had our moment, Ray threw the tracking device nullifier at me.

"Use this to disable your tracking device tomorrow, and then go hide in the forest. And then climb the wall and..." Ray planned.

"Inspect. Let's get it done before they increase security." I finished, looking at the device, realizing I was holding the product of Ray's six years of work. I had known from the start as well, but I hadn't been working as a major factor as Ray had been, I just pulled some strings from the sidelines and let everything else go as it normally would.

"Don and Gilda are making a new rope right now. They're using spare sheets stolen from the linen room," Norman exposed.

"So it's complete," Emma tacked on.

"Press it against your left ear and push the button. That'll disable the tracking device. With this method, it won't notify Mama." Ray explained.

"Did you make that with the camera parts?" Emma inquired.

"Not just the camera. I used parts from all the other rewards I got before. I just wanted the strobe light from the camera."

"How impressive. You spent six years to make this escape possible," I awed.

Ray blushed and looked to the side. "It's not that impressive," he denied, rubbing the back of his head. "After I realized the secret of the house I had to do it. That's all."

"Ray," Norman called. "How did you find out about the House's secret? I asked you about it before too. Because normally, no one would realize."

"From the beginning. I knew from the beginning. Do you know what infantile amnesia is?" Ray asked.

"What is it?" Emma wondered.

"Without knowing it, people forget their memories from when they were a baby. That's infantile amnesia. But in rare cases, it doesn't happen to some people."

"Ray, do you mean...?"

"I have memories from when I was a fetus. There were inconsistencies between my own memories and my life at this House. That's how I noticed. My first memory is being inside a dark, warm liquid. A lullaby I could hear from the distance."

"How much do you remember?"

"It's in fragments, but highly detailed. I remembered how the demons looked, and that there were other babies. The tracking devices were implanted, and we were separated into groups of five."

"Groups of five..." Norman repeated thoughtfully.

"After that, I passed through a dark tunnel and arrived here."

"The tunnel being the gate?"

"Yeah."

"Wait. So past the gate isn't the outside but..."

"Headquarters. The headquarters and the five adjacent plants. That's what this house is."

"So what Sister said was true," Emma realized.

"The gate won't serve as an escape route. It isn't just a few guards beyond that. It's swarming with demons and adults."

"Isn't that bad?"

"No. That's why security towards us is light. They'll only focus on the gate and won't increase security. Once Emma's leg and Norman's rib is healed, we'll escape."

"I see."

"There's nothing to be afraid of. Tomorrow, you'll disappear," Ray finished looking at me. He put his hand out, and Norman and Emma added theirs on top of his. I finished last, and we all smiled at each other.